1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Ryzen, Ram and ruddy-great heatsinks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RedFlames, 2 Jun 2017.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I did post this in the Ryzen thread but thought it would get a better response in its own thread...

Q1: What are people recommending in the way of AM4 coolers... preferably after one that doesn't require me to wait god-knows how long for a compatability kit to be mailed out.

Q2: Can Ryzen cope with 64GB of RAM, more specifically this 64GB of RAM. Or am I better off seeing what Threadripper/x299 offers on that front?

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

A1. Already answered this. However you have not specified air or water.

A2. Answered that too. Find your board, find out what it will take. It's a bit hard to answer that generally because all boards differ but you are better off with two sticks than four from the sound of it.

As for Threadripper? that is going to cost a fortune. Still, if you have one then it may be worth waiting for.

You're being a bit illusive though. Who is it for? what is it going to be used for? budget? etc etc.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

1) Any size restrictions?

2) Ryzen doesn't play very nice with 4 sticks of RAM. Most boards won't run it at more than 2133MHz with 4 sticks installed. I decided to play safe by looking on Asus' website for my X370 Pro and chose a kit from their QVL list. For my board this one is listed but helpfully is EoL. This one is also listed but both only say they'll run at 2666MHz.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I know you'd already responded in the other thread, was looking for additional opinions.

Who is it for? Me [hopefully].

What is it for? 3D modelling and photogrammetery [hence 64GB of RAM if possible], though can get away with 32 if needed.

How much? Well the total build atm is hovering around the £2k mark right now.

Ye typical 'doesn't render the RAM slots unusuable', no case restrictions as if it needs to be in a big case, i'll buy a big case for it.

Noted, and that's the general response i got from V-T too.

As i said, I could make do with 32, and can go down the x99 route if i have to... i'd just rather not have to.

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Ram wise I got caught out with mine due to big heatsinks, thankfully most don't actually need them and can be removed, not as nice to look at but it works.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I fell into the RAM trap with Ryzen - had to go for some QVL stuff because it didn't like my 32gig (2x16) kit - I feebayed the 32 gig kit to pay for a nice fast 16GB kit.

As for coolers, I'm happy with the Spire cooler until Noctua sends me the adapter kit for my NH-U9S. For a stock cooler, it's pretty bloody decent.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I would go Ryzen 1700 with the Strix 350 board reviewed here today.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...G_STRIX_B350-F_GAMING_Memory_QVL_20170519.pdf

According to that it accepts 32gb modules, but I can't seem to be able to find any for sale. You're also looking at £500+ just for the ram.

I would not go down the X99 route. The 1700 is on sale for £276 and the board costs £120. X99 will cost you more than that for a CPU that isn't even as good (the 6850k).

8. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

With reference to memory considerations it really does vary from board to board, brand to brand - I think you'll find however 16Gb sticks in general aren't yet supported.

Do your homework using the QVL, I think you'll end up tailoring the memory to the board not vice versa.

9. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

Corsair h80i fitted straight onto mine and 16gb corsair vengeance led 3200mhz working fine on the crosshair

10. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Lucky you, not had much luck with my 1600X, 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz kit and Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 MATX board. Ram will not post at XMP profile, tried Gigabyte easytune software in Windows 10 but I do not trust the reported clock because it does not match what windows reports in performance manager (and it says my CPU temp is 15C, way below ambient!). I cannot find a menu to manually put in the settings in the latest release BIOS (F4), and the beta bios that does have these settings breaks my RAID0 system disk, will give that some more time soon. Hopefully this will get ironed out.

I got an AM4 bracket to reuse my Corsair H75 for free with the code CORSAIRAM4BR details on their Ryzen landing page: http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/landing/ryzen