1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics safe playing with the PSU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by -Rosen-, 15 Dec 2006.

  1. ryodoan

    ryodoan New Member

    Joined:
    20 Nov 2005
    Posts:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    In making my table top Test power supply I managed to shock myself twice because I am retarded, I lived, but its not an experience I wish to repeat, my arm was tingly for about 10 minutes after each shock.

    In case you are wondering here is how I managed to do it.

    I started off being really careful, drained the capacitors, had it unplugged. I did all my soldering (Put in a switch, and an LED). Well, I plugged everything in to test it and for some reason the LED was not coming on so I unplugged it (forgetting that the capacitors were still charged) and I managed to hit a knuckle on a capacitor lead and another part of my hand was touching the casing and wam! My arm jerked back to to my body and the capacitor was discharged.

    The second time was pretty much the same thing...

    Just recently I managed to shock myself for a third time on the same power supply because it was shorting out for some reason, so I turned it off, and unplugged it, and as soon as I touched the top of the case I got hammered...

    Still have not really figured out why that happened...
     
  2. ConKbot of Doom

    ConKbot of Doom New Member

    Joined:
    2 Jul 2003
    Posts:
    2,160
    Likes Received:
    6
    It was shorting out to the case... you unplugged it removing the ground and you got zapped. No more ground hooked up the the chassis so it was floating.
     
  3. Sloth

    Sloth #yolo #swag

    Joined:
    29 Nov 2006
    Posts:
    5,634
    Likes Received:
    208
    Don't try latex gloves.. they tear real easily without you knowing, so go for real rubber gloves
     
  4. r4tch3t

    r4tch3t hmmmm....

    Joined:
    17 Aug 2005
    Posts:
    3,166
    Likes Received:
    48
    I just use a fan and jump the green and black mobo wires, never had a shock or anything (though I enjoy being electrocuted)
     
  5. NoMercy

    NoMercy New Member

    Joined:
    23 Nov 2004
    Posts:
    161
    Likes Received:
    0
    The only other bit of advice I can give, is to use one hand when your dis-charging those caps, far better to get a shock across your fingers than it is to get one which runs across your chest.
     

Share This Page