1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics safe playing with the PSU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by -Rosen-, 15 Dec 2006.

1. ryodoan

ryodoan What's a Dremel?

In making my table top Test power supply I managed to shock myself twice because I am retarded, I lived, but its not an experience I wish to repeat, my arm was tingly for about 10 minutes after each shock.

In case you are wondering here is how I managed to do it.

I started off being really careful, drained the capacitors, had it unplugged. I did all my soldering (Put in a switch, and an LED). Well, I plugged everything in to test it and for some reason the LED was not coming on so I unplugged it (forgetting that the capacitors were still charged) and I managed to hit a knuckle on a capacitor lead and another part of my hand was touching the casing and wam! My arm jerked back to to my body and the capacitor was discharged.

The second time was pretty much the same thing...

Just recently I managed to shock myself for a third time on the same power supply because it was shorting out for some reason, so I turned it off, and unplugged it, and as soon as I touched the top of the case I got hammered...

Still have not really figured out why that happened...

2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

It was shorting out to the case... you unplugged it removing the ground and you got zapped. No more ground hooked up the the chassis so it was floating.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Don't try latex gloves.. they tear real easily without you knowing, so go for real rubber gloves

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I just use a fan and jump the green and black mobo wires, never had a shock or anything (though I enjoy being electrocuted)

5. NoMercy

NoMercy What's a Dremel?

The only other bit of advice I can give, is to use one hand when your dis-charging those caps, far better to get a shock across your fingers than it is to get one which runs across your chest.