1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sage launches AMD APU-based Gizmo microcomputer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Jan 2013.

1. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Hear hear Gareth. Didn't read like that at all and it is appropriate. If Zin wants to go somewhere to read that type of thing and moan about it, pop off to TomsHardware for a bit. You wont make any difference, they are too well entrenched in making money, good tech writing disappeared there years ago. Thankfully it has only got better and better here.

2. yogev_ezra

yogev_ezra Green Gadgets Ltd

Self-advertisement :D
    If you want to get a chance for something cheaper AND better, please visit this thread and submit your vote: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=255178
    You have time till this Friday, February 1st 24:00GMT to cast your vote, and each person who votes even gets a chance to win some small prize.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

4. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I'd honestly be more interested in a mini-ITX or smaller ITX board. More features for about the same price...

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

There's alot of miniITX-boards allready. Take your pick.

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

That Zotac board probably is FM1 - both FM1 and FM2 use the A75 chipset.

Can't believe this doesn't have hdmi. I think the Intel NUC is currently the best option for an HTPC. Is pricey but half the size of a mini-ITX board plus you have hdmi and the possibility of adding USB 3 too.

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Except for often Toms do stuff more in depth than here... anything from gfx performance benchmarking for new games, browser reviews, investigations into things like microstutter and jitter with multi-gpu setups, investigations into where bottlenecks are, multicore scaling performance also in games and they generally just get more stuck into it than here. Although Anandtech and fast becoming TechReport are my favourites. I hate Bit-tech's cpu benchmark also.

This place is good for blogs, gaming reviews and the forum... and to have dedicated English perspective. For everything else there is mastercard or something... ;)

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The intel NUC has no option for a DVB-T/S dualtuner tho and that's where mini ITX and the intel DQ77KB comes into play :)

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

True! My HTPC doesn't stretch to TV other than streaming unfortunately (the Mrs isn't very tech minded!) so for me it would be perfect. That Intel DQ77KB looks tasty too.

10. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

If you're interested in a small x86 PC, have you seen the Fit-PC? they make number of models from a tiny (10x11x3cm) atom PC to a 19cm x 16cm x 4cm i7 model (all passively cooled). I've used them for work and found them incredibly useful.

www.fit-pc.com

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The Asrock one has been around for a bit. Newegg has discontinued it in Canada. NCIX still carries it but.. it's gotten too many bad user reviews (mostly BIOS issues).

As Combatus noted the Zotac board is FM1. Zotac announced the A75-ITX Wifi B-series but I can't find that anywhere either. (other than that archived announcement it's even gone from Zotac's site.)

Newegg also had an MSI A75 FM2 ITX board but that too is discontinued (and wasn't what I was looking for anyway - I really want dual link DVI or Display port.)

I believe that a lack of good FM2 ITX boards have really hurt AMD's APU sales.

12. yogev_ezra

yogev_ezra Green Gadgets Ltd

I've sold those computers for 3 years in Israel. Actually I started my company specially to sell them. The product is great but the design is proprietary (i.e., their own form-factor and their own connectors, so very hard to extend/modify it), and even just opening the case voids your warranty. In addition, their customer service is awful: as a reseller I got more than 10% faulty units from them (I am talking about 10% reseller margin so those faulty units basically ate up all your margin), which I shipped to them for warranty repair, which sometimes can take a month, and a lot of the units were shipped back to me as is with statement "cannot reproduce the problem". So I thought maybe the units are actually good and it's just a problematic customer, but selling the same "good" unit to a second customer reveals the same problems reported.

I am not saying that other vendors have rock-solid quality and 0 failures, but with all Taiwanese companies I dealt with, their customer service was excellent and their replace/repair speed is literally days (and they really replaced/repaired rather than saying "cannot reproduce").