1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saints Row

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 9 Sep 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Discuss link not working - links to forum not to this thread.

As for the game, I'm not sure whether I'll get this or whether I'll wait for the next GTA release. Also, given the fact that there are 2 other excellent games out at the same time (Dead Rising & Test Drive Unlimited), I'll probably get one of those instead...

3. orb

orb satisfying.

Just buy all 3 :)

Saints Row is a wonderful game, sadly ruined by the graphic glithes and stuttering :(

4. xion

xion Minimodder

Just seen the ad for this on TV... do the graphics look, well... weak to anyone else? Thought the 360 had a bit more poke to it than this!

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm really enjoying saints row, it's fantastic fun, I agree that it's not quite as good as GTA overall (in other ways it has been improved on alot, I find the game alot less frustrating to play since they've helped you along a bit with the sat nav system, etc.) but it's a very good first attempt at the genre, much better than all the GTA clones that have tried to be a bit more unique (i.e. the godfather) but havn't really ended up being any good.

Very good game to fill the void untill the next GTA. I hope rockstar learn a bit from this game as it's added some really cool features, things like taking passengers when you jack a car hostage are a nice touch.

6. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Personally I nick-named this game "chavs row" just because it really it just a chavvy gangster wanna be's game! Just like "chav theft auto" etc..

:p

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

hey what about jack tompson?
    can this be considered another MURDER SIMULATOR? :p

8. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

when i saw the ad's i thought it looked like a GTA clone

I don't have a 360, nor do i plan on getting one so i guess I'm not going to experience this till they port it to PC

9. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

Yeah its a GTA clone, but if im honest, i like it a bit better than the GTA series, its not as polished in a few ways, like the cops sucking and people diving into your car, but over all it aint bad.

One thing that needs mentioning about the game that is missing in the review (if it was and i missed it, sorry) is the respect system, where you do activities, that gain you cash and respect, which in turn unlocks missions.

One mission that did buck the trend was insurance fraud – a great task that isn't actually part of the main storyline.

Thats an example of an activity, not a mission, others involve the old getting a list of cars, hit man jobs, and plenty of others, wont spoil them if you intend to pick the game up.

Even when you are stuck with only one mission to do, that you are having problems with, it dont tie the game down like the GTA series does, you still have stuff to do, so you can leave the bit you are stuck on for a while, do some of the activities, earn a bit more cash, and then go back to the mission and give it another go, which is a good thing in my book, better than going off something due to there being a bit that you just cant get the hang of.

10. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I'm enjoying the game. The online aspect of it really needs to be addressed. I connect into more laggy games than good ones. Just lastnight I experienced a game where one kill ended up giving me about 7 (it spammed the action window with kills from me on this one guy and then said multi-kill). The clothing is also crazy, it's so expensive to buy new threads online, and yet, you may earn as much as only $15 per match, up $110 (which rarely occurs). Single player is definately fun though, but reminds me of San Andreas alot when it comes to controlling your territory and taking it back, ect.

11. SeBbY_007

SeBbY_007 What's a Dremel?

To me the graphics stuttered on TV...

:eyebrow:

12. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

The graphics look pretty good to me. Certainly better than GTA. But then I haven't seen many 360 games so relatively I don't know.

And shouldn't this game be called Saints' Row? Because as far as I know, Saints don't traditionally, em, row... :worried:

13. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

if they made it on the pc id prolly get it.... but since they dont... i aitn buyign a 360 just to play it! ill stick to GTA-SA:MP :p pwnt

14. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I picked up SAINTS ROW Saturday night after a lengthy debate over whether to buy it or DEAD RISING (Wal*Mart settled that for me because the local one didn't carry DEAD RISING) and I must say that I am severly disappointed with the game. It's fun at first but it's severly lacking in the open play field. Several key mechanics of GTA are completely missing such as motocycles, airplanes (there's one in the game but you can't fly it), and boats (same as the airplanes). Driving around and killing people is fun for about 30 minutes then it gets very tiresome very quickly. In fact, I think just slamming into cars head on and making the other drivers fly thorugh the windshields is my favorite thing to do.

The missions are varied enough to keep you going at them, but some of them are just rediculously hard (like the damn racing activities). The driving mechanics are great though. The radial dial for weapon selection is very intuative although I'll sometimes select the wrong weapon on accident if I'm in a big battle. I kinda wish they would have made one of the buttons turn into a lock-on mode for firing your gun.

Overall, I'd reccomend SAINTS ROW for a rental rather then a purchase. If you're going to clone GTA (Hell, they even used the same fonts!) then at least clone some of the more exploratory aspects of the game too! Hopefully they'll release updates over LIVE and enable flying and biking. Until then, I reckon I'll wait for the patch for the BC games and pick up SAN ANDREAS for XBOX.

Tags: Add Tags