1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Sam and Max: Culture Shock

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Feb 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

A new Sam 'n' Max? :D

Episodic content? :waah:

Oh well... maybe when all of the parts are released in an anthology, or something.

3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

They read my mind!
    When the topic about oldschool games was up i wanted a new S&M and what happend... here it is!!!
    I so gone buy this one, what the heck ALL of them! :rock:

4. riggs

riggs ^_^

I'd been looking forward to this ages, in fact, I was really looking forward to the LucasArts badged one, until they pulled the plug (knowing Lucas, it was probably because the title doesn't contain the words "Star" and "Wars" - seriously, how long can they milk that franchise! Personally, I'm sick to death of Star Wars games, action figures, apparel, cutlery, condoms etc). :grr:

Anywho, rant over and back on topic...

While it looks like a damn fine series the only thing that niggles me a bit is the voice acting. See, for some reason they've got new actors in, rather than getting the guys that did the original game. I found this instantly noticable (especially with Sam), but then I've not actually played the game yet, so I may actually get used to the voices.

I think I'll wait until all eps are out and play them back-to-back.

5. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

How does the game stand from the perspective of someone that hasn't played the orginal? Will I get the jokes? Will I figure out the puzzles? Or will I simply be missing out on something that could only be gained by playing the original?

6. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Think I'll give episode one a bash this weekend and see how it goes, maybe even trawl around for some of the cartoons to get into the mood :p

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

You'll get the puzzles, and the jokes - there are only a few throwbacks, laced into the solid gold which is Sam n Max. Episode 3 is due out in just over 6 days, and it should be nice to see the plot thicken some more.

On a side note, this game does suffer the "sitcom trap" - if anyone's ever seen the Clerks cartoons, it's along those lines. You take the same old core characters, keep them as close to the originals as possible, while adding in some other people as a plot device; unfortunately, without actually ever knowing them, these extra characters seem a little two dimensional.

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Hmm, played most of the Monkey Island games and Day of the Tentacle but missed Sam 'n' Max. I think I'll wait until it's all out but I'm sure I'll buy this.

9. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

I'm really glad to see that they've gone for point and click I HATED with a passion the keyboard move around the 3D world setup. Monkey Island 3 I think had the best Graphics vs. playability.

10. Emon

Emon New Member

The prices are very reasonable for episodic content. Going by the play time of Episode 1, $20 is outrageous. I probably spent a good 30 hours on HL2. That should mean that if there are three episodes at $20 each, they should take me about 10 hours each. I suppose if EP2 and EP3 are much longer it would balance out, but at the current rate, the value is not very good. That's probably the idea though.

11. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Uhh, you did read the article didn't you? It is $8 per episode, or $5.67 if you get the season pass, thats $34 for all 6.

I am sorely tempted to get this... Anyone know were I can get it in New Zealand? I can only find the demo on the internet.

12. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Well I went and played the first episode for an hour or two. I have to say I completely disagree with the article.

The jokes are ok but not really funny. The situation is just random and a bit weird, there's no really introduction or explanation as to who you are or what you're doing. The puzzles are pretty easy and not very rewarding to solve. The voice acting isn't great. There doesn't seem to be any sort of direction to the game. You don't really know what you're doing or why but you just get through by clicking on everything and everyone.

Ok I'm probably only half way through the episode so I will finish it and maybe my opinions will change. Still so far I definately wouldn't say this is as good as Monkey Island or Grim Fandango.

13. dire_wolf

dire_wolf Last Of The Dovakhiin

yay, holy adventure game ressurection, I hope this catches on 'cos it's my favourite genre of all time :clap:

14. RedBuddies

RedBuddies New Member

Sam: Are you still a notorious criminal?
    Max: Or an obscure one, like Kevin Mitnick?

Awesome. :)

Tags: Add Tags