1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Samsung 830 SSD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Booti, 18 May 2012.

1. Booti

Booti Member

Hi
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the Basic, Desktop and Notebook versions please. From what i have read they all run at the same speed, have the same cache, are the same dimensions and dont seem to come with any extras.

The only difference i can see if the prices.

2. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

Each XXXgb is available in a basic kit, in a notebook kit with 2.5mm spacer and SATA to USB cable, or in a desktop kit with 3.5" mounting bracket and SATA data and power cables. All of the kits include a full version Norton Ghost 15 for cloning an old drive and/or setting up backup routines for the SSD 830, and Samsung Magician a suite of tools to manage the SSD. (So says StorageReview - I happened to be reading it last week :thumb:)

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It's just the mounting hardware that differs. Notebook drives come with no adaptor to fit it in the 3.5" drive bay, nor do they come with SATAIII leads.

Not really a problem though, as you can secure a SSD anywhere, and you will have SATA leads anyway.

I went for the desktop version just because I wanted a nice mounting bracket and at the time there was minimal price difference. For some reason though, the desktop kit is around £50 more now!! I think it was a tenner when I bought mine. No idea what that's about, so go with the basic kit.

I'm not sure that you get the full version of Ghost with the basic kit though.

Last edited: 19 May 2012
  4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I just bought the Desktop upgrade kit because it was on sale for less than the basic. If it wasn't on sale, I would have just bought the basic because it's the same just with less useless stuff

5. Pookeyhead

Isn't the 830 just one of the most beautifully made products ever? It's a shame to hide it away inside the rig actually.

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Samsung do a pretty nice rectangle :p

7. Arghnews

Arghnews New Member

@ the last 2 comments, hahaha, oh the irony of docodine :D

8. Pookeyhead

Smart ass! I mean it's brushed finish and colour scheme. :)

9. Booti

Booti Member

thanks for that
    i see the difference now, but cant understand still why the desktop version is £33 cheaper (Scan Today only this weekend) when you get more with it

Bargain

10. Pookeyhead

Stock levels perhaps. Everyone's been buying the basic kit, and they now have stupid amounts of stock they need to shift.

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Don't you mention the 830-series.. I've had one on the shelf for a month and am still to install it to the main rig. Seeing the name made me feel myself so, so lazy.

12. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Member

I am with you there brother - it's lovely.

13. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

I can confirm the basic kit doesn't come with a copy of ghost. I double checked, but no dice ^^