1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung adds Qi wireless charging to monitor range

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

Sounds a pretty good idea. Hopefully more monitors will start to ship with it, or maybe cases with wireless charging pads on the top?

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I see a few issues here... First, a lot of people use multiple monitors and so use a dual/tri desk stand and so would lose the functionality of the Qi charging... but most of all, having tried quite a few different Qi charge plates (including a couple that cost £50+) I really don't care for Qi chargers at all as they can be a real pain in the arse, especially if you have your phone in a wallet style case.

I'll be waiting for Qi V1.2 which incorporates Resonance charging in to the Qi standard and so devices will be able to connect up to 4.5cm away (avg 3cm). This means that your device won't need to be in direct contact with the plate and should remove the current charging issues that most people complain about. Qi V1.2 is also fully backward compatible with current Qi devices meaning that they will benefit from the new standard as well.