1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung announces first LCD panel with DisplayPort

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 30 Jul 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

Couldent they think of a more kickass name than DisplayPort.
    Anyway sounds good for better quality screens. But of course all new tech is priced way out of my range:waah:

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

LOL, I am still using VGA/D-SUB or whatever you want to call it... and I should think a lot of people are in the same situation.

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

So exactly how much bandwidth can DisplayPort cope with? Anything around 3000 pixels wide? Let's hope the signaling protocol can get off the ground to the same level as HDMI before monitor makers rush manufacturing.

5. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Isn't DisplayPort regulated by multiple companies? What I'm trying to say is: wouldn't licensing be less for manufacturers than what HDMI is? and wouldn't that benefit, us, the consumers?

Last edited: 30 Jul 2007
  6. Robotrix

Robotrix What's a Dremel?

There is no licensing fee, so it would definitely affect prices of products (in a good way of course).

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

compact and no licensing fee = HDMI death

8. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

I believe HDMI 1.3 has roughly the same bandwidth. I would say stick with that. Display port has a whole new DRM thing that isn't compatible with anything. HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI, DVI with VGA and is already in billions of TV's.
    If a new graphics card has a display port then it probably only has space for one other port... that's not very useful at all.
    The only thing Display port has over HDMI1.3 is that it can daisy chain monitors. Sure that sounds cool but how often do people move or add displays so that daisy chaining will matter to anyone.

Tags: Add Tags