1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung denies claims of desktop PC exit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Jun 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

just dont stop making your lovely tv's

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Or SSDs, Monitors, HDDs.... I could go on....

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

While I don't think Samsung makes desktop computers, I'm glad to know, as an enthusiast, that desktops won't be dying off any time soon. Just the other day I had a friend who wanted to get a laptop replacement of his workstation, which would cost about $2000, while his current computer cost about $500 (albeit, it involved some used parts such as the tower, HDD, and PSU). So even in a desktop vs laptop perspective, we're a pretty far way away from replacing modern mid-range desktop computers with laptops, and laptops (excluding netbooks) are considerably more powerful than most tablets.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eh? You can buy its all-in-one units right now, if you'd like. If you mean *traditional* desktops - i.e. separate boxes that aren't built into a monitor - then there's the Chromebox (£279 from John Lewis, and you get six months of free broadband) and while they're not available in the UK these days internationally Samsung makes a bunch of successors to its old MagicStation and similar towers and desktops. Heck, a cursory glance at Samsung's Korean homepage reveals three different models of Windows 8 desktop, not counting the all-in-one to the right.

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Samsung doesn't make HDDs any more. They sold that off a few years ago to Seagate.

8. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Yeah :( For a while, I only bought Spinpoints. I had one that had an armature seize (which I managed to fix), but beyond that, I've never had any problems, which I can't say for any of the other manufacturers (well, the other two that were left by that time, WD & Seagate.) Hitachi apparently got it together, but they really should have retired the DeskStar name they got when they bought the HDD division from IBM - I still shudder when I see it.

Now, though, I'll stick with Samsung SSDs for boot drives. WD and Seagate still make me nervous, but I've got a WD Green and a Seagate in my home server (along with with 2 Spinpoints), and they've been solid so far.