1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Samsung Galaxy S4: no octa-core Exynos for the UK

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harlequin, 21 Mar 2013.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

http://hexus.net/mobile/news/android/53181-samsung-galaxy-s4-octa-core-exynos-uk/

So glad i got an S3 on a cheap as chips contract

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Quad 1.9ghz is hardly going to be slow.

But I do not like the fact that Samsung sells the same phone with vastly different hardware inside. They did the same with the S3 in the States I think.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2013
  4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Looks all plastic-y anyway..

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Who needs an 8-core processor on a mobile phone anyway? Seems entirely pointless.

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

It's just a way for them to charge more for the phone, hence why I decided to get the Note II instead of the S4.

7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Basically the main point the S4 had going for it compared to the competition was the processor. Was looking for an upgrade, something from the 1080p bunch - I was considering the Octa core S4, but now I don't really see need to go Samsung any more. It would have been interesting to see how the battery life fared with a separate integrated CPU for low power mode and all that...

Personally think the HTC One has it right, built better (aluminium feels so good) and has ultrapixels plus is a smaller size, and the processor is "fast enough" as far as I'm concerned. I don't give a toss about benchmarks, if it does what I want it to do as fast as the S4 then that works for me.

It's two quad cores, one for low power usage and one for performance. It can't use them both simultaneously either.

Of course the next question is "who needs a 4-core processor on a mobile phone anyway" and I have to say I am inclined to agree.

8. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Without the 8 core's what does it really offer over the S3..? Not much in my opinion. Better screen is the only worthwhile upgrade. Glad I got a cheap S3.

Evolution rather than revolution once again.

9. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Im due an upgrade feom my s2 in a month. Was gonna just grab the s4 but it would appear there a few other decent options in that class now. Just to make my decision harder!!!

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Why is this not a shock did the same thing in America with the s3.

Apple maybe many things but at least its just one version of the product its releasing.

11. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I dont think it is a shock? Its just technology news being discussed on a technology forum.

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I was due a upgrade this month and I was waiting for the S4 but decided against it due to the cost.

Ended up with the Note II, considering it's just a little slower in the cpu speed, it has the same amount of ram and same storage capacity.

The only real differences is the screen resolution and the camera and a few software upgrades which apparently are going to come through to the S3 and Note II anyway.

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

HTC one > the S4 in every single way

14. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Rather have the 2 cores in my 920 and optimized software.

15. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

The S IV is a bit of a disappointment, but not because it doesn't have the master gimmick of a CPU. If you need a low power CPU, why 4 cores? Surely a single, slightly faster but low power use core would do everything needed (basically run the "always running" parts of the OS, monitor network and so on) with less power draw - they certainly used to with single core Android phones in the past...

I'm more disappointed because it's just a larger S3, with the same design language too, just with a bigger screen and extra TouchWiz-ness (of which I'm not a fan, though some of the built in conveniences are nice). I was hoping they'd try something a little more interesting, but do truly believe we'll see an Apple-Android (design until shedloads of people are on board, then simply iterate the same stuff), though at least Samsung are back-porting software to older devices (unlike Siri...).

Personally, I'm more convinced by the One, silly name aside.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I think you need a couple of cores on Android, certainly my 1Ghz single core xperia croaks when I have stock trackers running, listen and am downloading music etc, I can see the screen redraw and when I get a phone call it can take 5 secs to respond :eek: I don't think a faster core would sort it by itself, sure it would help.

I really need to upgrade.....one day.

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I came to the conclusion after replacing a smashed 5" screen for the third time on my last large phone that a sensible sized phone plus a 7" tablet is very much for the win.

I won't lose too much sleep over this.

18. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Tbh, its not the cores that annoys me rather the weak GPU they will place in the UK s4. For that reason, i am out. I am thinking of the new HTC but not being able to use a memory card is a bit of a deal breaker. I guess I will be sticking with the s3 for now

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I wouldn't say so, I was playing with a friends Motorola Razr I the other day that's a single core CPU, OK its 2Ghz but still proves singles cores can handle it.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2013
  20. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Rather than just a general statement could you give reasons to why windows phone is optimised software? Android operates very well for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2