1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Samsung HD103SJ repeated issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheninat0r, 13 May 2011.

1. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

So, I just recently RMA'd two faulty Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ hard drives and got two shiny new replacements, but today (two weeks after I installed them), problems are occurring again. After my computer is left on for maybe 12-16 hours, they both simultaneously and suddenly disappear from everything: they don't show up in My Computer, Disk Management, or the Device Manager. After I reboot, they show up again, but then they disappear again if I leave my computer on long enough.

The last pair of (identical) Samsung hard drives that I RMA'd exhibited this same problem, and I RMA'd them because eventually they stopped showing up at all, even in BIOS. I did not test them on another motherboard, but I switched them back and forth between my Intel and Jmicron SATA controllers, which did nothing.

So, bit-techies, I ask: what the hell is going on here?

My motherboard is an EVGA X58 3x SLi (non-Classified), coupled with an i7-920, 12GB OCZ Platinum, GTX 275, and Xonar Essence STX sound card. I have an X25-M 80GB first generation SSD, a Caviar Black WD1001FALS, the two HD103SJ hard drives, and an old 80GB Western Digital ripped out of an old computer.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Do they switch off after a while to save power?

3. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Possibly, but they have died in the middle of read/write operations as well... not really the best way to save power if it corrupts my data.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Might be worth checking windows power settings. Maybe your MB's detection isn't quite right

5. Mytos

Mytos What's a Dremel?

Hello.
    Sorry to drag up this old thread. I was just wondering if you have an update on the situation. The same thing has happend to me twice now. First with a one year old Samsung H103SJ and now again with one that is brand new. This one just stops all together though, doesn't matter if you are in Windows or Linux and it disappears from Bios until it has been reconnected. I've also tried the different controllers and everything else i could come up with, such as different cables (power/sata power), ports, bios reset, achi and ide mode etc. It dis
    I probably won't buy a Samsung again.

So did you RMA it again or?

6. WVlekker

WVlekker What's a Dremel?

I've been facing the a similar kind of problem with my brand new Samsung 103SJ: besides behaving real bad on copies between HDs that very often ended up by aborting, it didn't work well alone either: the system performance is just poor. I've been searching the Web for more information about this HDD but so far nothing conclusive.
    I updated my BIOS twice and eventually rolled back to the original revision, as it didn't work out as desired.
    I also ran a test software from Samsung that checked every feature as OK, so I don't know what else to do. Perhaps I'll have to buy a new HDD and it won't be a Samsung, that's for sure.

Willem