1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung HDDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SECRETCOMMANDO, 5 Mar 2004.

1. SECRETCOMMANDO

SECRETCOMMANDO What's a Dremel?

Having used a 30gb Ibm HDD for the last couple of years I figure its about time to upgrade to some thing bigger and better...

Anyway I was looking at various 120gb HDDs and from what I can tell Samsung spinpoint drives seem to have the best statistics [8.9ms seek, ata133, 7200rpm and 8mb cache] but is this the case or should I go with a different make? Are Samsung drives reliable? Anyone else here use them?

Thanks for your thoughts...

2. coorz

coorz Miffed

I have 2 x 160GB Samsungs. Can't really comment on them, they work, are silent, but run very hot. I'm not a benchmark freak.
    There's only about 4 big HDD manfucturers left in the world. Samsung seems to be the 'lesser' brand.

3. RTT

RTT #parp

Pleased with my SATA Samsung SpinPoint drive :)

4. SECRETCOMMANDO

Thanks for the replies guys, i'm still not sure if I should go with a Samsung or just go for a Maxtor instead...

Anyone else care to comment?

5. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

Everybody has a preference and your very likely to get 20 diff responses from 15 people. I actually prefer Western Digital seconded my Maxtor. Using a Raptor 36.7gb and 160gb 8 MB SE drive with no problems.

6. RTT

RTT #parp

I've never had a reliable Maxtor.

7. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

I've never had a Maxtor drive die on me... I've got an old 2 gig one that's still going strong. I tend to choose Western Digital drives now though.

8. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

seagate is my choice...i have a really old samsung thats dead (about 5 years on) but i have only heard good things about the new one (spinpoints)....

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ive only owned one and it died, however the replacement service is absolutely five star so it doesnt bother me as much. However i live by seagates - had at least half a dozen or more and NONE have died of their accord, only one which i dropped (the motor went). However, seagates you have to send back to holland which sucks cause not only does it take 2-3 weeks it costs a shed load.

Ive heard nothing but good for the newest spinpoints though, im quite tempted by one in the future.

10. SECRETCOMMANDO

Thanks guys, looks like i'll go with one of the Samsungs then, as someone pointed out everyone has their preferences and most of these HDD seem to have very similar stats aswell as prices...

Thanks for your help everyone. :D

11. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

I've never had a reliable Segate... evey one has died on me, and a couple of friends of mine have had the same problems with them.

12. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

these are my thoughts on hd makes that I have had and by the way I have had a lot and not one has failled Idon't know what you guys do with them!!

Maxtor:- really fast but sooooooooo loud (I will never buy one againdue to the noise)
    Seagate:- not as fast as the maxtor but the lack of any noises makes up for it trust me.
    Samsung:- I would say their drives are in betwwen the maxtor and the seagate for noise an performance

13. ingouk

ingouk What's a Dremel?

i use 2 120GB Samsung in my tivo, they run nonstop since about a year ago. never had a problem with them. The one samsung i used in my spare PC had a problem. It was DOA. but samsungs RMA service replaced it within 5 days.
    Thats better than the RMA service i know from IBM and seagate.

14. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Samsung make great drives, all of mine have been quiet and reliable.
    My Maxtors have been a bit louder but just as reliable.
    As for Seagate, every one I have owned has died on me.

15. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

16. DaRkPhAsE

DaRkPhAsE What's a Dremel?

Mine just borxed on me :-(

Just been searching on the forums for any info on these, My Spinpoint just demolished my entire OS, been running for 2 months without any problems, just transferred 20 Gb of files to it for backing up to DVD, shut down last night powered on this morning - nothing, loads XP splash screen and just goes blank.
    transferred out to 2 other systems as secondary SATA drive only 1 system will boot up with it in but can't read from it, constant I/O errors, an reporting the the data has been lost, unable to read, unabl to restore registry etc.

Not dissing Samsung, I have had Maxtors, Seagates, WD's and IBM's all fail on me over 8 years so this is just another one.

This is the only one to loose 20Gb + of Drivers, movies, mp3's etc just after I cleaned my old backup system for a rebuild though... :duh: :grr:

lesson learnt......keep more than 1 backup. :sigh:

17. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i have an older model samsung 120gb drive in my xbox, runs fine and very cool with no probs.

I also recently bought a 160gb sammy spinpoint sata and have had absolutely no probs so far. (apart from having to locate a feggin floppy drive to load the drivers so i could install windows).