1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung looking to sell hard drive business?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 18 Apr 2011.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

yep a 2tb F4 for me i think

2. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Crap. I just hope it isn't Seagate that buys them.

If this goes ahead, maybe I'll consider jump on more F4eg 2tb disks.

3. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

NOOOOO!!!!!!

4. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Oh no! I only buy Samsungs... :(

5. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Well now we see the reason for price-dumping the terabyte F3, they will have sold by the bucketload last Christmas onwards.

Now they want to dump them out of the market and shirk the warranties, back to WD.

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I have 2 seagates in raid 0 and a seagate external, had them for about 4 years without any problems.

Any hard drive can fail its a machanical device, regardless of manufacturer.

SSD's will take over when they get bigger and cheaper, at the moment its a luxury for the few.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This isn't good. Like most people here, I only buy Samsung HDDs.

My only memories of Seagate drives were the god-awful noise and unreliability.

8. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

I must have been lucky to stick with the last companies standing unless the price was a bargain, gave away a Seagate which is still working after nine years.

Other than that the F3 was an exception in eight years of WD, if the deal goes ahead then fine, I got a Christmas bargain, but I'm returning to WD now as the company wants to stick around in the market.

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Most of my HD's are Samsung. Kinda surprising to know they are making a loss when you see how popular their drives are. Well this sucks.

10. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure all HDD manufactures have pretty much the same percentage of faulty equipment.

11. Xir

Xir Modder

They're bigger than you think...they're supposed to be the worlds biggest single client for semiconductor grade silicon :D

Shame, only hear good things from their drives.

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Everyone seems to have Samsung HDD's, I don't understand how they can't be making money!

13. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

I do own 5 Samsungs and they running just fine, I own also multiple WDs and Hitachis and those running even better. In truth it is just dreadful news that Seagate want to take over.

Not by miles, but by parsecs - Seagate: worst HDD manufacturer on the planet ATM. (In fairness SCSI Cheetah 10/15k series many years ago was brilliant, but that was such long time ago)

In short, buy Samsung now while stocks last.

And give me a break SSD - future of storage? You having a laugh. It is road to nowhere, end of story. SSDs will be gone in the next decade as utterly inefficient form of storing data (unless price/GB will drop to HDD level which is pretty much impossible). Imagine Data Center with lets say (just) 500 TB of storage which need to be replaced every 2 years because of faulty NAND under heavy load.

SSDs are just for geeks who enjoying showing off. I couldn't care less how fast OS is booting. In my case every RAID card initialization (loading kernel for those not familiar with the issue) takes 1 to few minutes, so why should I care that some SSD booting in 10 seconds and delivers 250MB/s. I can easily achieve that with tiny classic HDDs in RAID 10 for a fraction of a cost but with added redundancy.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Trolling much?

adidan likes this.
  15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Either that or he hasn't tried a good ssd for a boot drive, I don't know anyone who didn't feel the massive difference going from hdd's to ssd for the boot drive.

SSD's make awesome system drives, even my ocz summit with a fairly bad rep still performs awesome, hdd's have ages from getting into windows to being ready for what I want to do, ssd's I can instantly do what I want as soon as I get to desktop.

WD raptors even still have a good cause if you have many games installed but for every other drive samsung are my favourites so I might just go & buy a few 2TB drives while I can.

16. sWW

sWW Minimodder

I doubt companies that require huge amounts of storage, thinking of Google and the like, will be going to SSDs any time soon.

17. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

oh behave, i like samsung drives reliable (for me at least) fast, quiet and cheap, please don't sell it to seagate samsung, PLEASE!

18. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Just another sign of the end of hdd's. The hdd is dead. Long live the ssd!

19. total zombie

total zombie What's a Dremel?

me too, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

ive got 4 or 5 spinpoints there very good!!

20. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

In a way, I'm sad as I've used Samsung HDD's for the last few years and they've been great.
    On the other hand, I'm not that bothered as I've never had an issue with Seagate.
    The only brand I've had issues with is Fujitsu.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2011
Tags: Add Tags