1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Samsung NC10 discontinued?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ransoman, 15 Jul 2009.

1. Ransoman

Ransoman What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know if the Samsung NC10 has been discontinued (basic non-hspda model)? I have been wanting one for ages now and i am about to take the plunge but it has disappeared from the dabs website (where i have a £20 voucher for). There only seems to be a few colours listed on other sites too and the price is creeping up.

Should i buy now or never again will it be available?

2. Akava

Akava Lurking...

AFAIK they are discontinuing it in favor of the newer one that looks like a bar of soap. Not certain though. Also, there has only ever been 3 official colours anyway; Black, Blue and White. I would highly recommed an NC10, one of the bet investments i've ever made.

3. Ransoman

Thanks. The newer ranges look good but are far too expensive. The replacement, the N110 doesn't actually seem to exist on any shopping site??

I am wanting an NC10 to use solely for writing and browsing. I am buying it based on the good reviews i have heard about the Screen, keyboard and battery.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You might be able to find a new one on eBay. :)

There are quite a few places with stock though, I suppose the price will steadily rise as stock diminishes though.

5. Ransoman

How odd. my dabs.com vauchers have now expired and suddenly the NC10 is back listed on there site?? WTF are they playing at???

6. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

just realised i linked to the wrong one. Nvm, you have one now any ways!

Last edited: 18 Jul 2009
  7. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles

If the DABs vouchers have expired then you could always try Amazon (unless you're after the Pink NC10) :-
    Black NC10
    Blue NC10
    White NC10
    they are all cheaper than DAB's current prices.

8. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

I actually just received (and am replying on) my new NC10... Ordered here in the states from Newegg two days ago, which only had two models to choose from. They have a pink model, and a blue model (of which I picked up the blue). Not sure what models were out prior to this one, but it is still around...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131015

9. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

Does your NC10 still have a matte screen? The final iteration has a glossy -- the one I demo'd at J&R did, and certain others who bought them have reported so as well.

Beyond the matte screen and the slightly less stretched display, I'm not grasping why an NC10 would be leagues better than the NC120. The aesthetics on the 120 are still quite nice in real life.

If yours is matte, that's a significant reason to order from newegg.

Also, is your blue finish shiny or matte? I find the matte finish infinitely preferable -- appearance and touch both. I ignored the N110 partly for that reason.

If the blue has a matte screen and finish, I'll probably order one myself.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2009
  10. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

The only NC10 with the shiny screen is the 'Special Edition' as far as I'm aware. Mine has a matte screen, and the system itself has a matte blue finish. The top cover of the netbook has a polished surface (attracts fingerprints) but looks sexy as hell.

11. Prestidigitweeze

Yes, I know all that, which is why the NC10 at J&R made me do a double-take. I'd never have expected to find shiny-screened NC10s in Samsung's latest batch of black. They're not terribly shiny, but they're definitely not matte.

However, the fact your NC10 is blue and has a matte finish is really good news. And the fact you bought it at newegg recently nearly, how-you-say, sealed le deal. Pity the top of the case is shiny.

I'm one of those foonts who deliberates endlessly before buying a single wax fang on Halloween. Thanks to your detailed answer, I nearly jaunted to Newegg to buy an NC10. The only thing that still gives me pause is the fingerprint-ready shell.

BTW: Have you read about the HP Mini 5101? For me, it's coming down to either the NC10 or that model. One advantage of the NC10: I know I like the feel of the keyboard and look of the screen. I don't really know how I'll be able to locate a demo of a netbook offered only from HP's business site.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2009
  12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

My Black NC10 has a gloss/shiny top.

I got mine as soon as it was released.

13. cribcoch1

cribcoch1 Old Age is a Bitch

Argos have then on offer at the moment:£279.99 in black.
    http://tinyurl.com/ksmw4b
    I bought one for my Granddaughter last Christmas, she loves it, and so does the rest
    of the family when she goes to bed!!! Must admit I was impressed, especially how the
    Samsung update software works.

14. Prestidigitweeze

Maybe it's the blue color, then -- I fell in love with using the black one and don't want to be surprised aesthetically. If the model in cribcoch's post were still available Stateside and on sale, I wouldn't think twice.

Something's making me consider the HP at the moment. I actually spoke to a business site sales rep today.