1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Samsung Plasma VS LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by will., 31 Jul 2009.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Hey,
    I'm buying a new telly! Woo!

I'm after something hooge, 46" - 50".

I've settled on either these new Samsung LCD LED (not really LED) tv's. They look good, and the series 8 is getting very good reviews, but the lower series are really only a loss in gimmicky functionalities rather than quality, and are a hella lot cheaper so I'll probably go for the series 6 or 7.

Alternatively, I'm looking at the new Samsung B850 Plasma, a 50" skinny beast. It's been compared to the latest pannasonics, not a rival for the kuro, but loads less £££. Close though.

However, I have heard varying opinions on plasmas. They are obviously cheaper, but they use a lot more power. Also, they suffer from image retention. Not a problem if you only watch films and TV, but my main uses are PC, Consoles and HD video. I don't even bother tuning my TV's.

So I only watch HD content, but using games and PC on a plasma is where image retention happens.

Also, plasmas I've seen just don't seem as crisp as LCD's when using a PC.

Can anyone give me any advice.
    I'd prefer to get the plasma. It's (a lot) cheaper and bigger, but I can't get a straight answer out of shop folk about my questions.

Cheers.

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

A plasma should not be cheaper than an LCD. If that is the case, you are looking at a top-model LCD and a cheap plasma.

Plasmas do pull more electricity and suffer from slight image retention (they use phoshpors to create light which CRTs do aswell), but you've forgot about their good sides. They have next to zero response time (they claim to have in the range of nanoseconds), they have very wide viewing angels, they are native 8-bit panels (a LOT more colors), they have very good contrast, there is no backlight bleeding, etc...

3. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

A Good Plasma will easily beat a good LCD, but then a similar quality Plasma will be about £500 more than a Good LCD.

If you want the best you can get, definitely go Plasma, if you have a budget, just go LCD.

Image Burn is a thing of the past now, Basically non existant.

4. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Agreed, Plasma beats LCD. The Samsung 6, 7 and 8 series are incredibly vibrant and crisp looking, but they get this by deliberately over-saturating the colours. When you tune an LED and a Plasma, the Plasma looks much better. For example the LED will make skin look a bright pink, whereas a Plasma will make it look more . . . .skinny :D

As you said, for any given price you will get a larger Plasma than LED. For example, a Samsung 7series LED will cost around £1300 whereas a Panasonic 50inch Plasma (the second from top model 50inch) will cost £1100.

Regarding reviews, the standard review from places like What Hifi, AudioHolics and AV Magazine is "the LEDs are really good, but the Plasmas are better".

In short, get the plasma :thumb:

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Panasonic Plasmas...Or Pioneer(if you can find any) Over any LCD anyday.

Sadly most people comapre a low end LG Plasma to the top end Samsung and get the idea that Plasmas suck..:(

Plus Burn in is no longer existent.

So pretty much what Frohicky said. Just don't get a Samsung Plasma, they have a very bad tendency of killing themselves early on.

6. will.

Cheers for all the comments guys.

I am pretty sure I'm going to get a plasma now. The Samsung B850 is supposedly on par with the current Panasonics in my price range and because I'm vain I want the skinny Samsung.

I made a cardboard template of the samsung screen earlier. It really does completely dwarf my current 32" screen! Can't wait! :D

7. Frohicky1

Lol Elton, I pretty much said your mind because your the one that convinced me when I asked a while back :thumb:

"I made a cardboard template" - I always do that too, gives it more of a sense of reality :D

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The new Samsung plasmas (B85x) are ace. Compare very well to mid-to-high-level Panasonic plasmas (V10 series).

Regarding image retention/burn-in: Yes, it can still happen. However, if you break in your tv properly, e.g. by turning down the contrast for the first 200 hours or so and generally being careful. Using one of those special break-in DVDs for a couple of nights should help a lot too. After that, burn-in is extremely unlikely.

9. trig

trig god's little mistake

almost bought a 7 series led....the 40" runs around $1700-$2200, and fry's had it on sale for a few days for $1299. oh how i wish i would have bought it...but anyway, most reviews i read say that though they have deep blacks, panasonic's are not the best on color accuracy, whereas the pioneer and samsung's have excellent color accuracy. the 8 series slim design you are looking at is also very energy efficient for a plasma. also, here in the states anyway, a high quality, larger lcd will cost more than a high quality larger plasma.

10. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Plasma's do have the image retention tho like mentioned it is becoming more and more non existant as the technology improves. Just don't leave it on SkySports News or MTV for hours or youll have a nice lil image in the top corner.

Plasma's have a shorter life span, though this is still like 25years!

11. will.

Richer Sounds have just quoted me £1070 for the Panasonic TX-P50G10

Best I could find.

Good price/screen you think?

12. mm vr

It is a really good one! :thumb:

13. Elton

Great Price. And don't worry about Burn-in, well unless you like staring at a white screen for 6-15 hours..

Other than that Burn-in is pretty nonexistient.

:D Glad to know I help(*at Frohicky).

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, there *is* the 24p issues with S10 and G10 models, but apparently Panasonic is looking at the problem. Other series seem not to be affected, including e.g. the G15 series.

15. will.

Sorted!
    I pick it up on Wednesday! Luckily my Dad has come up for the week and is in his (horrible) motor home so I don't have to pay for delivery, just a crate of beer! Traversing Leeds in a big thing like that though is going to be a challenge... :D

Exciting! I've resisted watching the Watchmen (on Blu Ray) for a while just so I can welcome my new telly into the world with a very dark but colourful film!

Now over to AV forums to become a plasma nerd and learn how to calibrate it properly!

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Congrats on your purchase! It's a good set!

Remember to transport the tv in an upright position. Under no circumstances should you lay it flat! Otherwise you will damage the huge frontal glass sheet.

In other news: Woohoo! This is my 1000th post! :)

17. mm vr

When I bought my TV a few weeks ago I first thought it would fit in my car, but after measuring, there was no way to do it (the TV was 10cm too tall). Then changed my order to include shipping (50€).

Then I got interested in why they shoudln't be transported laying down. I figured out that the panel consists two very thin glass panels (with the gases that turn into plasma during operation inside) and the glasses can bend or even break if not upright. The results don't necessarily appear immedeately, but can also greatly reduce the lifespan of the TV. Not only that but also the plastic can get damaged because their packages don't have much protection on the large sides.

18. Frohicky1

I'll be getting the Panasonic TX-P50G10 in a bit, they reckon the V10 is a very marginal improvement, not worth the extra £400ish unless cost is unimportant.

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Panasonic-TX-P50G10/

Essentially all they say is "much more expensive sets are a bit better". Fine with me :D

19. Elton

Well in other news, I've just recieved a Pioneer Elite PRO-FDH1. My dad got it for $20 and the panel's cracked in two.

Nothing a few parts from Pioneer and a new panel won't fix.

Keep in mind this is a $10k TV, and the parts will cost approximately $1.5k assuming we replace all of it.

Now to bring out the tools and wait for the parts.. :dremel:

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

That's taking modding to a whole new level... :p