News Samsung slip reveals new Ivy Bridge, Nvidia mobile parts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 13 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt New Member

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

So... at $1700, if it makes it to the UK (often the best offerings don't seem to) then it'll be anything from £1500-2000. Probably at the higher end of that scale.

/pessimism

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I've always pretty much failed to see the point of hardware-heavy desktop-replacement gaming laptops with all their problems of price, weight, size and battery life. Unless you do a serious amount of LAN play (but you're not so serious as to carry a desktop), what's the point?

But I guess there must be a market because companies keep on rolling them out. What next, a 15Kg Quad-Core nVidia powered 19" tablet?

4. r3loaded

r3loaded Well-Known Member

If you're a student or are in some way absolutely prevented from having a desktop. But yeah, desktop + tablet is the way forward.

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

More of a "luggable" than a true "portable" but yes it might be a smart move for a student who needs to bring the whole lot back and forth every term. Wouldn't fancy carting it to lectures mind!

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

A 17" desktop-replacement machine just wouldn't fit into my lifestyle, but my 15" with i7-Quad, 8GB Ram and GTX570M handles Battlefield 3 rather nicely during lunch at work. :p

I can definitely see the sense in the high-end laptop market for certain usage cases, but the oversized ones just don't make much sense to me.

7. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

As I am in the military and I travel a good bit I can see the use in this as I am restricted on how much stuff i can carry with me. I can't carry my full size tower with dual monitors to a school that is 3 to 6 months long it's just not possible. So if I had this I could easily carry it with me and still be able to game. It all depends on your life style and where and how often you travel. I for one would love to have it as i do not really care about battery life as I am yet to see a gaming laptop/desktop replacement that had ANY.

8. sWW

sWW Member

I'm a student and I have never owned a laptop. If I need to carry out work on campus I can just use one of the several desktops available there.

9. CowBlazed

CowBlazed New Member

With a 17" 1080p Samsung LCD you might actually get a decent screen to boot, if only notebooks in the $1k category could offer something like that.

10. trig

trig god's little mistake

it may...to a point...from my understanding, a mid-range ivybridge laptop, or budget ivybridge with a bigger screen/ram package should be in that price range and offer performance on par with the gaming laptops from last generation...defo shouldn't have problems running the majority of games...

11. mi1ez

mi1ez Active Member

DDR5 or GDDR5?

12. 3lusive

3lusive New Member

Hmm, I don't feel your vibe at all. I'd easily rather have 1080p at 17" than 15" - cant imagine how small text is on the latter. I also don't feel like 17" is large, but maybe that's because I use two 24" displays for my desktop. On smaller laptop screens I just constantly feel like Im looking through a letter box and want a larger display, and 15" just feels tiny nowadays.

13. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

limited space in your home.

as heavy as it is, its still more portable and take much less space than a full-size desktop with its own monitor, keyboard, and speakers.

14. Bindibadgi

Bindibadgi Tired. Forever tired.

There's a big market for DTRs, but it varies very much by country.

With mobile parts costing what they do? No chance, I'm afraid.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2012
  15. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

1080p at 15" results in a very fine pixel pitch, so it makes for a very crisp-looking display; but more importantly it combines the better portability of 15" (fits into a backpack much more easily for lugging into work/uni every day) with a larger desktop to work in.
    The extra virtual workspace within the same form factor as my previous 15" laptop was a huge upgrade for me, given the work I do (programming, music production & research).

17" isn't large as screens go, but it is as portable computers go; and of course gaming on a 15" screen can't compare to playing on my 24" at home; but that's what my desktop machine is for. For me, 17" just sacrifices too much of the mobility advantage of a laptop for the sake of extra physical screen size that realistically doesn't give much benefit in usage.

Then again, I'm fortunate enough to have strong eyesight, so smaller text and things like that don't bother me, I'd much rather a balanced compromise of portability and power; and I have the space for my main desktop machine at home.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'd hope for £1399.

Wait... what?!?!

A quick search later...

Ah, basically a media extender/streamer that works on Core series chips.

17. Mr_Armageddon

Mr_Armageddon New Member

That picture had me a bit worried, as one of the main reasons I go with 17in laptops is the built in numerical 10key. I work in the finance industry and travel a lot, so for me its a necessity. A quick stroll over to the Samsung product page confirms that this model will also include a 10key, unlike the picture used in the article (which is a Series 5 Ultra).

http://m.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP700G7C-S01US#gallery

The battery on my HP is toast, and this looks like a worthy upgrade.

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

flippin eck 200w power supply, even my 17.3" q9000 lappy only has a120w power supply

19. r3loaded

r3loaded Well-Known Member

I used to own a DTR, the reason for this being that moving a desktop between home and halls would have been too difficult (all my stuff barely fitted in the car). That said, I do have friends who've somehow managed to ship their desktops into their halls.

Tags: Add Tags