1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Samsung SSD 840 Evo 120GB, 500GB, 750GB, 1TB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 25 Jul 2013.

1. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

I have a general question about SSD's and maybe about HDD's as well. If I format a new drive in to two partitions or even only format one partition but from half the disk, at some later point if I start to experience errors or data corruption, can I then start to use the other partition (or up until then unformatted space) and will that partition work as new or does a drive (either SSD or HDD) work that way?

I am asking because I am thinking of the practical benefits of buying a larger drive that is far cheaper cost/GB even though my system drive would never need that much space but then splitting it in half and in theory doubling the lifespan of the individual physical drive.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

HDD, yes the unformated space goes untouched afaik untill the day you format it with a file system and start using it. SSD, not so sure but i think the same holds true.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

Cheers Corky. If that is true then it is much more practical and cost effective to get a single 840 EVO 250GB SSD and split it in to 2 for £150 rather than two individual 120GB drives for £100 each. Especially as SSD's have no moving parts to fail.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

SSD simply removes the affected block from the use. Dividing it into partitions has no meaning for SSD, the flash blocks representing your partitions can change place anytime to any of them, depending on the wear leveling algorithm.

In short no, it makes no sense to divide the SSD in partitions in case a flash block fails, as the order is random and ever changing. Even your never changed files can move around the SSD if wear leveling needs it - that means that for example on of your blocks has 100 writes and the other with static file only 5 writes, then wear leveling algorigthm can decide to move out your static file to one of the more used blocks. Sure, that "wastes" one more write on both blocks, but it delays the failure of the first block by freeing up the less used block for more writes. And of course following this logic you can easily get 4kB of data from first partition followed by 4kB of data from 2nd partition, then again 1st, then again 2nd - on the same flash chip.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So SSD wear leveling works at a drive level and not partition level ? good to learn something new :)

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

Indeed it is.
    So use wise it would work out the same longevity wise to have have 2 individual 120GB drives as it would to have a 250GB if the usage was exactly the same (not going over 120-125GB of data whether formatted or not as to do so speeds up the deterioration in a relative comparison).

So the 250GB drive is the value and longevity sweet spot for me as a system drive as to use say a 1TB drive would last longer (with the same usage) but in theory by the time my 250GB drive burned out then future drives would be that much cheaper to replace any way. I can't see myself using SSD's for mass storage until the prices come way, way down.

Tags: Add Tags