1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung teases first terabyte-plus QLC SATA SSDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 Aug 2018.

  1. bit-tech

    bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

    Joined:
    12 Mar 2001
    Posts:
    2,508
    Likes Received:
    44
    Read more
     
  2. silk186

    silk186 Derp

    Joined:
    1 Dec 2014
    Posts:
    1,496
    Likes Received:
    78
    More good news on the SSD front. Hopefully in a year 1TB M.2 + 4TB SATA will be an affordable option.
     
  3. silk186

    silk186 Derp

    Joined:
    1 Dec 2014
    Posts:
    1,496
    Likes Received:
    78
    I just sold some parts on ebay and have enough to buy a 970 evo 500GB but with this news, I don't know if I should hold off. Some people are suggesting that prices could drop by 30% over the next couple of months. Should I buy now or hold off for a little while to see what the 970 evo plus does?
     
  4. sandys

    sandys Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    26 Mar 2006
    Posts:
    3,148
    Likes Received:
    103
    will only drop when there is competing tech. Samsung aren't going to want to erode their ASPs
     
  5. TheMadDutchDude

    TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

    Joined:
    23 Aug 2013
    Posts:
    4,745
    Likes Received:
    522
    What are you intending to use it for? You won't be able to boot from it, and it's a waste using it for games. I'd put the cash towards a 1TB model for games if I were you. That's what I did.
     
  6. silk186

    silk186 Derp

    Joined:
    1 Dec 2014
    Posts:
    1,496
    Likes Received:
    78
    Why would I not be able to boot from it?
     
  7. Xlog

    Xlog Active Member

    Joined:
    16 Dec 2006
    Posts:
    554
    Likes Received:
    37
    Any info on offline data retention longevity?
     
  8. RedFlames

    RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

    Joined:
    23 Apr 2009
    Posts:
    11,702
    Likes Received:
    1,487
    Assuming the specs in your forum sig are current, Z68 doesn't support booting from and NVMe SSD like the 970 EVO [well it can be made to work with some dicking around in the EFI but out of the box it doesn't work].

    So in that instance a larger SATA SSD [that you can boot from] would be a better bet.
     
  9. silk186

    silk186 Derp

    Joined:
    1 Dec 2014
    Posts:
    1,496
    Likes Received:
    78
    It's up to date now. It hadn't been updated for a few years apparently.
     
  10. TheMadDutchDude

    TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

    Joined:
    23 Aug 2013
    Posts:
    4,745
    Likes Received:
    522
    That was my primary concern, your sig is what I went off of. :)
     
  11. silk186

    silk186 Derp

    Joined:
    1 Dec 2014
    Posts:
    1,496
    Likes Received:
    78
    I was very confused because I had recently upgraded and forgotten about my sig. Any reason I should hold off on ordering the drive today?
     
  12. TheMadDutchDude

    TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

    Joined:
    23 Aug 2013
    Posts:
    4,745
    Likes Received:
    522
    Not that I can see. The prices will always be going down, so I wouldn’t hold off. You’ll going to wait forever if you go with that logic. :)
     
  13. silk186

    silk186 Derp

    Joined:
    1 Dec 2014
    Posts:
    1,496
    Likes Received:
    78
    That's just it, prices will always go down and something is always around the corner. That said if something is just about to release it is better to wait if possible. I just don't know how long the wait it.
     
Tags: Add Tags

Share This Page