1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung unveils sixth-generation V-NAND flash

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 6 Aug 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

Read more

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I've lost track somewhere down the line. Is this the same as MLC, TLC etc (and therefore capacity is traded off against speed/endurance) or is this simply stacking more MLC, TLC into layers?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The latter, though there is also a speed/endurance issue once the stacks start getting high enough - which is why Samsung's crowing about having gone 136 layers high without breaking owt.

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Member

I'm lost as well. Isn't three bits per cell still TLC? And why is their initial launch still only 250GB?

It also winds me up that the double layer/bit/whatever cells are called Multi. Two isn't "many".

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Number of bits per cell, and number layers per die, are two completely unrelated factors. Car analogy! Number of seats per vehicle, and number of stories in the multi-story car-park.

The use in a 250GB SSD is probably because you can just stick one package (8x stacked 258gb dies in one encapsulation) plus the controller on a tiny board and have a full 250GB SSD, maximising the number of discrete drives you can sell if you are constrained by NAND output volume.

Tags: Add Tags