1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SanDisk shrinks to 32nm

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

If they use the tech in SSD's it would be good.. And we might have cheaper SSD's.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'm confused, SanDisk already have 16GB MicroSD cards...

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Multiple dies per card. This allows fewer dies, which means lower costs and power usage - or, alternatively, the same number of dies but more storage.

5. DougEdey

The article is a bit misleading then because the last paragraph states:

Which states that 4GB and larger microSD cards are not currently available...

6. Gareth Halfacree

Ooopsie - you're right, I made a mistake when writing that bit.

7. n3mo

n3mo New Member

Hell, yeah, filling 64GB with 7.8MB/s. ~140 minutes if my mind is right. Twice that with small files.

8. B3CK

B3CK New Member

So I take it, this is where the SanDisk "XD" series will be coming from? Or are those going to increase to beyond 2Tb with this new die change?

9. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Anybody else think that this is the future of media and game distribution? At least until high speed internet becomes widespread.

10. spectre456

spectre456 New Member

i doubt, a disc is still cheaper to manufacture than those SD cards. besides, they are so easy to lose.

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well this certainly looks promising, I hope it also gets applied to the SSD market as well.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

these + the pandora.... WEEEEEEE!!!!!!

13. iwod

iwod New Member

I am sure the Speed is incorrect for the SD Card Part, Since you would combine mutiple chip into one SD card meaning we should get 10 - 14MB/s.....

And why are manufacture concentrating on capacity? I have always think capacity is nearly a non issues with die shrink. ( Next Gen would offer what most people needs today )

But speed is still slow. We need Fusion-IO speed at less capacity, 30 - 80Gb and a reasonable price....

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

very cool but the speeds are a tad slow (I'd rather have more speed and the same capacity)

15. Kode

Kode New Member

and
    why are you stating the Gigabits that these cards can hold? It seems completely irrelevant to me, as people who know the difference between bits and bytes will already know how many Gigabits this will store based on the amount of Gigabytes, those that dont will just be confused, and as i said its irrelevant anyway, noone expresses storage in bits, admittably it would sound more impressive to say i have 32 Terabits of storage on my HTPC. Just wondering if there was a specific purpose?

Last edited: 13 Feb 2009
  16. Gareth Halfacree

I wrote the article, not Harry - and I quoted gigabits because that's what SanDisk quoted. I converted the figures they provided to gigabytes for clarity.

17. Kode

Kode New Member

Fixed the quotes Gareth, dont know where i got Harry from, i think from your surname, im still only half awake, lol.
    SanDisk quoted in Gbits? Thats very odd, im still not really sure what the point is as you can get 8GB SDHC cards for like £10, have you got a link to the actual SanDisk statement rather than the extremetech article?

18. Kode

Kode New Member

19. DougEdey

They always quote in Gbits, same as all solid state/flash memory always quote in Mbits, it's a number which sounds bigger and will probably sell more.

20. Kode

Kode New Member

Really? only time ive ever seen bits used is in transfer speeds, never for capacity, cant have been looking very hard obviously :) Btw, hope it didnt sound like i was having a go Gareth. Re-reading my post i might have come across like that, it wasnt intentional. I really was interested in why it had been quoted. One small criticism though, why quote extremetech(dated 11th) rather than the sandisk press release (dated 10th)? However i do enjoy reading about this kind of thing so keep up the good work, i generally flick between here and dailytech for my daily intake of tech news :)

Tags: Add Tags