1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SanDisk shrinks to 32nm

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Feb 2009.

1. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

Doug do you mean in press releases or on products? because looking on line they all seem to express capacity in bytes, even the picture for this article, the front of the card states 2GB, granted it was only a quick look though.

*edit* I have to say though that Scan are very poor at doing their titles, they mix and match Gb and GB though when you click through they actually mean GB each time

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

it's always in press releases and if you look at the physical chips themselves it says it in bits not bytes, that's because during storage the data is actually encrypted in 8b10b encryption (every 8b code gets translated to a 10b code) which allows for better data recovery and provides coverage incase a bit or two gets corrupted/flipped at any stage of its life.

3. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

the physical chip in the picture above says bytes, as does every SD card i own (6), every SDHC card (2) and 1 CF card, unless im missing your point?

*edit* http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=sd+card&gbv=2 i cant see a single card in that lot that states the capacity in bits rather than bytes, granted ive only had a quick look through the first couple of pages

Last edited: 13 Feb 2009
  4. DougEdey

5. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

right, i understand what you are talking about now, but you dont buy a chip without the casing. Anyway, thanks for clearing up some of the confusion, although i still think the press release is misleading stating a capacity in Gb when it will be sold to the consumer in cases stated in GB

6. DougEdey

The press release is aimed at resellers, the reason that it's put here is because this is a technical website, I suspect it would normally be placed into the Press Release section of the forum but it was decided not to due to the change in manufacturing process to 32nm which reduces the cost significantly as you can produce more off one die.

7. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

I spent over 20 minutes filling up a Kingston 2GB microSD. Quite a while.
    But I wouldn't mind. The true problem is my phone, taking 2 minutes to build up the music library and another 60 seconds to filter the songs by genre, artist, etc. Can't wait until our phones are PCs!

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

There's an article on here somewhere talking about Micro SD cards to replace music CDs.

9. kirsten

kirsten What's a Dremel?

this is true - <a href="http://www.gomemory.co.uk/memory/micro-sdhc.html">micro SD memory</a> cards are to be introduced as a new means of musi distribution. It has been tested a on a few music albums in Japan but yet to arrive in Europe or the US at any scale.

10. kirsten

kirsten What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags