1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sandisk targets iPod with Sansa MP3 players

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 7 Jan 2006.

1. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Winamp.

Winamp is the only media player I use anymore, ok I occasionaly use divx, but winamp is extremely easy to use and looks good too. A friend has an ipod, he sees it as a mistake now but this was a while ago when there was no alternative. He hates itunes, absolutely hates it, however it works with his ipod and thats all he uses it for, whenever he listens to music its winamp.

I have atm, 12:00am Central time... 1464 audio files weighing in at... 6.18 gb. Winamp told me this, wow just plain simple winamp, and ya know what else. It totals... 4 days, 1 hour, 47 mins, and 11 seconds, can you believe somthing besides itunes does this. If I want to burn a cd I use nero, or if I want to copy it I can just use explorer. Lets say I wanted to rip a cd, well all I have to do is open cdex, insert the cd and it rips it exactly how and where and labeled how I want it. I can sort my music easy enough with just explorer, sure I dont have 100gb of music but I could manage it if I did. If you like itunes then good for you but its not as good as winamp to me.

If I wanted to listen to a certian song, it takes me a sec to find the artist and another sec to open it, through Winamp or explorer. I have used itunes and find it bloated and ugly. I welcome a player to unseat the ipod and show people there is a choice, the ipod has 1 feature I like and that is the scroll wheel, however my friends creative has a wheel on the side I find more convient.

2. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

That's what ID3 tags are for. I have around 5,600 music tracks in my library. All of them are placed in a single folder, and they're all named in this format:

Artist -- Album -- Track # (0-padded) -- Track Title.mp3

In addition, every one of them has the correct ID3 tags, since I'm another one of those people who are anal about organization. I use RealPlayer to play my library -- I switched from MusicMatch Jukebox a month or two back -- and whatever you might say about it, it works. Thanks to the ID3 tags on all my songs, I can sort my entire library according to Artist, Album, Track #, and so on. I can choose to see a hierarchy of Artist/Track Title, Artist/Album/Track Title, Album, whatever. I can also simply forget about hierarchy and see all the tracks in my library together, sorted according to the criteria I mentioned above. Don't know about you, but that's quite enough control for me.

As far as iTunes goes: I hate it. The first time I tried it was some time early last year. I found it bloated and ugly, like speedfreek. I tried it again recently, and found that, sadly, nothing had changed. It's slow, ugly, resource intensive, and a real pain in the [rear end] to use.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2006
  3. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Resource intensive, I found it that way too. Now for an unscientific test
    First I restarted my computer, all temps are average no problems with any of that. I log into windows and the first thing I do is ctrl alt del to get the performance meter up. It spiked to 100% for 3 secs ans idles at 0%-2%. I open up winamp, I see 11% 26% 36% and back to my idle speed in 3 polling intervals. I play a song, 7% 10% 2% 4% in 4 polling intervals, it idles between 2%-4%. The song is 128kbps 44khz 10,720kb 11:20 White Zombie - Blood Milk and Sky.mp3. I stop the song and find somthing at a higher bitrate.

0%-2% idle agian, I play the song 5% 4% 2% in three polling intervls. It idles between 2% 4%, This time it is 320kbps at 44khz 8,141kb 3:28 Modest Mouse - Float On.mp3. I have a AMD Athlon 64 3700 512mb ram, if someone with similar processor has itunes I would like to see your results. I really want to see if itunes is as bloated as it feels.

Winamp version 5.1.1.143

edit: sorry for going a little off topic

Last edited: 8 Jan 2006
  4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Great point. However, I've found Winamp to be fairly slow once you have a big library. In addition, the ml_ipod plugin only supports audio transfer, not video or pictures (last I checked, anyways). What it really has going for it is being able to rip stuff back off the iPod.

I used to do that (and prior to that, Anapod Explorer), but once I got my 5G, I wanted proper video support on the other end. I've found Winamp to be very iffy for videos in general recently, let alone iPod support. It used to be my primary video player, but now half the time it doesn't even realize it's video content. Maybe my codecs are whacked... Anyways, I spent a few hours getting iTunes set up properly (a good import of my music, re-tagging stuff that was right in winamp but didn't carry over into itunes), and while iTunes is a huge memory hog, it works very well as it's the one piece of software that didn't require reverse-engineering to transfer to the iPod.

In fact, prior to the ml_ipod plugin, I didn't even know about winamp's media library, let alone make use of it. I still kept music organized in folders, but boy was it a pain to actually use any of it. Unfortunately I had to re-tag most of it then, too, as it's never smart enough to import using only the directory structure and ignore tags.

speedfreak - to each his own, I was exactly the same way. However, iTunes totally centralizes everything, bundled into one app. I used freeripmp3 (and then later winamp's built-in ripper, generally to flac but occasionally I'd do both flac and mp3) to rip, nero to burn, explorer to find and winamp to play. Worked well enough. Once I finally set itunes up right, I just pop in the CD, it automatically rips to mp3 including tags. I can sort stuff by genre, artist and album (in that order) just by clicking the stuff in the list. I choose a playlist that I want to burn, and click the 'burn disc' icon in the top-right. Not only does it make it as simple as 'put in blank, click, confirm', it's the only free mp3/audio CD burning software I'm aware of.

Normally I hate the idea of sticking ten things into one piece of software (or hardware, as is the case with cell phones in particular), but unlike cell phones, iTunes does all of the features it's meant to do extremely well. It simplifies and centralizes the features needed to get the job done, and does them all effectively. Unlike the camera on my cell, which is becoming rather like the digital clock in the sense of 'well, they're cheap, let's stick them on absolutely everything'.

It took me a while to find that out, and until I did, I absolutely despised iTunes (look at any of my older posts). It definately has some features missing, but it handles most of what I need to do extremely well.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Exactly!

Back on topic ladies and gents

6. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

On Topic:

I don't see how the Sandisk (e200) player can possibly compete. It's bigger, uglier and at the same price point as the iPod (nano). If they're just happy to get a handful of sales then that's fine, but to me this certainly doesn't look like an iPod - beater. Other companies are going to have to come up with something MUCH better in order to take Apple's crown.

7. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

No they don't :p
    I don't know a single person with it (apart from those with ipods) and most of my friends are very computer literate (mostly doing CS degrees), so ner ner ;) :p :lol:

As for the player, that looks pretty damn cool, I've been waiting for a decent sized player with 6GB+ for a long time! Only thing I would say is that one of the main attractions of the nano for me is its depth. Once you start putting something in your pocket this is by far the biggest factor of how big it is going to feel.

My Sony P200 is roughly the same dimensions as my phone, yet as it's a fair bit deeper it feels so much bigger in my pocket!

8. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

most computers in my town have it my friends all have itunes, my school has itunes on most comps. maybe its small town thing.
    i dont think that this will be the ipod killer.

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

you missed out the steps where i have to download, install, configure and import all my music into itunes

also when i plug in my mp3 player XP opens it as an explorer folder where its organised by artist/album/track and will do so on any xp computer i care to plug it into
    which is how i like my music organised :p

i have to agree that this sandisk thing isnt that great, but there are plenty of players that are better in everyway than an ipod, bar sales

10. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I like it. Looks kinda funky.

11. cebla

cebla What's a Dremel?

I installed Itunes the other day and the only things it does better then windows media player is search (you don't have to press enter to see the results much like the way firefox does searching for text) and the music store.

However Windows Media Player is easier to browse through by album, artist or Genre. Media Player also uses around a 5th of the resources on my system (using the same number of songs as I have them all in both libraries). Also Media Player scroll faster through a big list of music than iTunes. iTunes seems to lag whilst scrolling down the list of songs.

12. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

The SanDisk looks like it will be an interesting product. I like the ability to add removable storage, and have a user-replacable battery. (Those two alone probably account for an extra iPOD nano amount of thickness.)

The largest music collection I ever had was 4.5GB of MP3s. One day I went through the entire collection deleting things I knew were crap, and listening to a few I was unsure about. By the end of the day, I had about 4 albums of stuff I'd listen to all the time, and 3 more that I'd listen to at some point.

For now, I toggle between shoutcast stations and have a few hours of mp3s recorded from those stations if I want to have music with me.

In the end, the iPOD nano wins in looks, but the sandisk wins in functionality. Since I work in the public sector here in the states, I have to stretch my money, so the sandisk wins. If I had any amount to spend... well, I'd probably spend it on a linux-based car-pc, and stick with my freebie Creative muVo I got for signing up with comcast cable internet.

13. mottl3y

mottl3y What's a Dremel?

the reason apple has done so well is it's ease of use (im pretty sure im not the only one with that opinion).

personally i hate software that tries to be too smart. i would prefer to choose the settings myself and tell it where my music is, rather than have it search my whole computer or My Music folder (no matter how "efficient" the search is), and pick ripping settings that are only compatible with other products from the same manufacturer.

sure i can understand why mum and dad or the computer illiterate cool kids prefer itunes, but for people with more computer experience i dont understand why they wouldnt pick something that doesnt try to do all the thinking for them. even if its just to stick it to the man for trying to monopolize the market to such an extent.

unfortunately winamp is a little more bloated than it used to be, but i still prefer it to itunes.

Tags: Add Tags