1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Sandy Bridge chipset flaw halts board shipments

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 1 Feb 2011.

1. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Asus are telling us Retailers, carry on getting your customers to use their boards at least until after chinese new year when they'll know the timeframe their looking at for rolling out these new boards.

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

LOL :D.

But ouch I got the MSI P67A-GD65 & use all of the sata ports :sigh:.

But this quote put me at ease :D.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

maybe if intel wasn't such an asshole toward nvidia not everyone who bought a SB mobo would have this problem. seriously, this is why ibm wanted 2 companies to manufacture x86 from the beginning. that and to raise competition.

4. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I wonder if Intel will hold off on making cpu's until april then? to avoid flooding the market.

5. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Wuh wut? Dunno if you've heard about a little company called Advanced Micro Devices? They do x86 too...

6. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

7. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Another good reason why Intel should stick to CPU's and well away from Chipsets and Graphics!

8. dudwasup

dudwasup What's a Dremel?

wow im glad i read this later this week i was going to pick up one

9. schmidtbag

yes, amd makes their own chipsets, but for a while nvidia made chipsets for intel (while intel also made their own) and then intel basically told them to stop doing it, and when you have 1 company do all the work, something like this happens.

10. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

I heard that ASUS will shortly announce full blown product recall.

11. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Ideal Situation:

Intel CEO: I've got an idea!
    Intel Employee: What is it?
    Intel CEO: Let's 'leak' it that our chipsets 3Gbs ports degrade.
    Intel Employee: ...... Sir, you do realise April is still not among us yet? It's like another 2 months away.
    Intel CEO: Meh, let's do it.
    Intel Employee: ....... Ok then...... *starts typing*

On a more serious note, i feel sorry mainly for those who watercooled their SB rigs, if they wish to RMA their motherboard, they have to drain it all and take their blocks off. Still, by the looks of it if it's usable and wont degrade performance on the HDD, then it's ok to leave it temporarily.

12. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

you dont get the sort of problems from amd allways seems to be intel you see thats what you get for rushing tut tut ...

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

If you take X number of products with Y% chance of mishaps then wait Z time you'll find something. X is a known value (record of everything Intel's manufactured), Z is a known value (Intel's inception up to present time), Y can be derived using the two former values. The values may change but it applies to everyone, regardless of whether it's just one company or multiple. It's fairly safe to say that Intel would have still made this design error even if there were 3rd party chipset manufacturers for 1155.

Where you're getting your analysis mixed up is looking only at chipset providers for one of the two major x86 manufacturers. Yes, if Nvidia was able to produce an 1155 chipset then users would have an alternative for the 1155 socket, not for all of x86. AMD provides an alternative, as storm has already pointed out.

14. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

could not agree more ...

15. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

yeah...AMD has NEVER had to recall ANYTHING.....yeah.....

I recall (not intended to coincide) the old Opteron Single Core processors on the E4 stepping revision were recalled in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opteron#Opteron_recall

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

See my post above, it's only math! Funny how people's memories change depending on the brand in question. :D

17. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

I don't feel so bad buying a 1156 system a week or so 1155 came out now :)

18. schmidtbag

all of you are COMPLETELY missing the point i'm trying to make - i'm not saying that intel is the only chipset maker. i'm not saying that if nvidia made intel chipsets that intel is less likely to make a mistake. amd is completely irrelevant to this discussion since they didn't screw up their chipset and they didn't tell anybody to stop making chipsets for them. what i've TRYING to say is if intel didn't tell nvidia to stop making chipsets, then people would have an alternative chipset to turn to in this particular situation. HOWEVER, since intel is the only chipset manufacturer for SB, people with these CPUs get this problem, but if nvidia was still allowed to make chipsets, then they wouldn't be affected. i don't see how this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

altho intel and amd (and via) create x86 CPUs, their designs in their processors and chipsets are so drastically different that even if you made a pin compatible amd cpu to fit in an intel board or vise versa, it won't work. thats why you can emulate an efi and you still can't get mac to install on almost any amd machine. like i said before, i deliberately didn't bring up amd because it isn't relevant to this situation.

19. centwing

centwing What's a Dremel?

Oh damn, I knew there was something fishy when it says *no return* on the invoice when I bought msi p67 mobo last week. I was lured by the seeming great discount offer, sigh...

20. mremery

mremery What's a Dremel?

I was going to buy a P67 board in the very near future (after reading the next CPC of course) as I bought a 2600k last night but now I don't want to get one, put my plumbing in and have the feck!n HDD's not work. then have to RMA it.

(just checked OCUK)
    OCUK don't seem to see it as much of an issue, if you search for a P67 board (P8P67 pro in this case) they have written this:

- Potential Sandybridge issue:
    - In some cases, motherboards featuring the 6 Series Chipset (P67 & H67) that have Sata devices connected to ports 2-5 could potentially degrade over time.
    - Motherboards with devices connected to Ports 0 & 1 remain unaffected or using the 6Gb/s ports.
    - Please note if your board is affected by the above issues, your statutory rights remain to RMA the board.
    - Tests have found that under 5% of boards are affected.
    - PLEASE NOTE THERE IS NO POTENTIAL ISSUE TO SANDYBRIDGE PROCESSORS

Tags: Add Tags