1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Sandy Bridge E build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by izools, 28 Dec 2011.

1. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Of course... but only if you can notice that speed in the real world applications that you actually use :D

2. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

He will when transcoding video. 6 cores and 12 threads at 4.7ghz will shave a lot of minutes off his rendering times :). I'd love that kind of performance.

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

My misses, doesn't complain in this aspect, as she says her work computers sucks, and it's a pleasure to do all her work on mine in mins rather hrs. (Makes it easy for me to upgrade without her moaning:D).

4. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Ran IBT 10 times, currently at 3.5Ghz on 1.3V (not tried OC yet) and I'm hitting a max of 60 degrees with an average of 57 across all core - my H100 isn't even spinning up the fans on full...

Will get back up to a decent OC and see where it goes.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Well... at 3.5 and 1.3 mine will probably be similar. Let us know your temps at around 4.7ish and around 1.4v.

What took 3 hours to encode on my X58 rig now takes around 70 minutes. The difference is exponentially greater. I was expecting some serious gains, but not this much.

6. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

Really? This is good to know. Although bad news for my ISP :p

<off topic>

I think I'm gonna need a faster upstream... Just waiting for un-FUPped FTTC then I can move away from Virgin Media's 5 Mbit upstream. Already have fttc available here but don't know how BT Retail would react if I were to saturate their 10 meg upstream 24/7... I think they have a 300GB fair usage policy on Infinity so will wait for BE's FTTC product to be ready. Local excange is already enable for BE ADSL 2+ and Openreach FTTC, so hopefully BE will email me saying "Hey, wanna be a BE FTTC trialist?"...

</off topic>

Argh! Hurry up and get released, 7970 I have an order to place here!

Best get my existing rigs flattened and eBayed whilst waiting... Oh the impatience :wallbash:

EDIT: Oooh! This is exciting, SCAN have their first 7970 (an MSI) appearing online. No price yet, but we're getting closer :thumb:

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
  7. Pookeyhead

Yep. It's more than twice as fast in fully threaded apps that make use of HT, which the Geekbench results confirm.

8. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

Right then, order placed with Scan:

[​IMG]

Order placed with Rebel Gadgets

[​IMG]

Am going to order new monitor, keyboard, mouse, fans, cables, blah blah blah next week :)

Regards to Speakers, I'm looking for something without a sub, so that I can achieve a higher listening level before the neighbours can hear me - what do people think of these?

http://www.microlab.cn/product_detail.asp?id=279&bigclassid=15&smallclassid=72

I've read good things about them.

I'm currently using a rather old Denon Micro system and Mission 700 speakers with my PC at the moment, they've seen better days and are sounding rather muddy now...

9. Pookeyhead

Welcome aboard :thumb:

Don't forget to update up when it arrives.. post up a clear pic of the chip too so we can see batch numbers. Also... once OCed.. take part in the Geekbench thread.

With regards to speakers, I have a Logitech Z623 system, which sounds nice, but also has a sub volume control on the speakers.. when on min, the sub is off.

[edit]

Still think the H80 will struggle if you plan on overclocking it.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2012
  10. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Nice purchase!

Don't knoe anything about those speakers sorry, I am quite partial to most of the Logitech stuff and then I usually always play with headphones on anyways.

With regards to the 7970 I didn't think NDA had been lifted yet so I would be wary of ordering at that price

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

11. Pookeyhead

12. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

Thanks. Will be setting up the H80 in a push-pull config with two 120mm fans, unless I can find a 140mm to 120mm converter, in which case I will set up a 140mm rear case fan, adaptor, H80, then 120mm fan on inside face of H80... we'll see.

Thanks for the tips re: speakers, will read up on those. Am a bit of an audiophile so will have to take time to make the right choice! May end up keeping the Denon micro system and getting some better speakers. Requires more ponderage.

I was a bit worried, too - but that seller has a five star rating on Froogle reviews, I had a chat with him also before I ordered and he advised he had a call from his supplier yesterday to say they have three ready to dropship Monday so he's advertised them on his website.

He said no one had ordered one yet, so hopefully he'll be shipping on first come first served basis. Fingers crossed!

Hell yeah :rock:

13. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

UPDATE:

Ordered 2nd Sapphire 7970, Logitech G500 & G510 KB / Mouse, and Microlab 6C speakers. This lot from eBuyer - so will probably arrive before the 7970 I ordered on Saturday :p

Ooooh I can't wait :D

Yeah, I went over budget. It'll be fine, really. Absolutely fine. *whistles nonchelantly*

Absolutely fine...

14. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Haha the missus will be pleased :p :thumb:

15. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

*Ahem*

<Quickly signs into credit card to ensure it's on online billing only>

"Yes my love, really cheap they were. Shall I cook tonight?" :worried:

16. mikeyman198

Went and fixed that for you ;)

izools likes this.
  17. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

+1 rep :D

mikeyman198 likes this.
  18. mikeyman198

You have the honour of being my first rep giver, so I will return the favour :thumb:

19. Pookeyhead

How have you got your H100 wired up? If I set mine to full, the fans are on full all the time.

20. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Went to 4.4Ghz overclock at 1.36V, 15 runs of IBT. 67.7 average across cores.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2928603&postcount=211

My setup is in my sig (somewhere) - on the My Systems page.