1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Sandybridge Motherboard Choice Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DystopianDream, 9 Jul 2011.

1. DystopianDream

DystopianDream What's a Dremel?

Hello fellow Bit-tech-ers!

First real post from a long time reader/lurker of these pages :) Was hoping to crowd source some advice from you lovely people on the selection of a Sandybridge mobo. I've been toying with an upgrade for a while, umming about waiting for Ivy Bridge/Bobcat and suddenly..... my student loan has arrived :D so I cba waiting any longer. I do a bit of video encoding but mainly I use my system for gaming. Current rig:

Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
    Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.7GHz w/Xigmatek Thor's Hammer
    2x HD5850 in CrossfireX @ 775/4500Mhz
    2x2Gib OCZ DDR3 @ 1600MHz 8-8-8-24
    Asus Xonar DS 7.1
    2TiB assorted storage
    Dell 2408WFP 24" 1920x1200
    Win7 x64

Also just bought a Crucial M4 256GB and 2x4GiB Cas9 to go with but not installed yet.

So, the plan is to get a 2500k and a mobo. I'm not particularly enamoured with Gigabyte, had two of their "high end" boards (inc above) neither have been great overclockers. So moving to Asus me thinks (but will take other suggestions) because of their OC prowess and good customer support from what I hear.

So now the nitty gritty. I need

(A) need Xfire support x8/x8
    (B) an exposed PCI slot for the Xonar DG

The P8P67 Pro R3 is my current choice.

Does anyone have any particular success/horror stories with this board, or any other strong suggestions?

I don't think Z68 is necessary as I have no use for the pathetic sandybridge GPU, is there another reason I should consider Z68?

Thanks in advance for any responses, I hope this isn't a redundant thread, I did :search: and didn't find anything. Cheers!!!

PS Budget: £150ish for the mobo

Last edited: 10 Jul 2011
  2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

There's the Aus Maximus IV Gene-Z AND BEFORE YOU SAY IT, no it doesn't have a PCI slot for your Xonar DG which is a pity, it's a great soundcard. BUT! It does have onboard X-Fi 2 sound. It's a bit strange the onboard sound isn't a Xonar derivative.

Anyway, linky linky clicky clicky

3. DystopianDream

Ty for the reply, first thread takes off! :p

Its nice and cheap and looks good but there's no need for me to use a mATX board in my case and ditch my soundcard as I have a P182. I just posted in another thread about not trusting on-board audio, sensitive sound chips on same piece of silicone as a screamingly overclocked CPU is not cool.

Keep them suggestions coming though, anyone from the msi/gigabyte camp want to entice me over?

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon What's a Dremel?

i'd stick with your first choice... ...as for £130 inc delivery then it's a bargain imho.

Well, okay, i went for the 'deluxe' version (to show off naturally), but it's a great board that's dead easy to o/c, & i wouldn't swap it if you paid me.

it also has the huge advantage (for me at least) of not having foolish NF200 chips (which was the big issue with the Gigabyte ones i also half considered) - okay, they may be fine for graphics cards (if you really 'need' that many installed), but for proper raid cards they're dreadful...

5. DystopianDream

Sweet, don't you just love being agreed with :D

and also agreed; triple crossfire/sli is for masochists/benchmarkers only!

6. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

I opened a thread on the same subject not too long ago. Although my requirements were slightly different than yours, there are some interesting suggestions there. Have a look here.