1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Sangaku" New York Times

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greensabbath, 7 May 2005.

1. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

thanks for the help, so far my plan is to get some white translucent acrylic, sand it up nicely and probably put glowire around the perimiter of it for a nice even light.... sound good?

Last edited: 20 May 2005
  2. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

I personally cant stand EL wire. It won't light your plex like you want it to either. I doesn't project very much light. Where 3 LED's will be more than enough.

For the Plex I would use clear frosted plex with white LED's. It will still look white but you will still get a semi-transparent look from it. Unless you want it to be totally opaque then use the white plex. but we may be talking about the same thing here.

Either way.. It sound like this thing is going to look very classy. I think you may have just pushed me over the edge into wanting to do a Wooden case. Keep up the good work.

Last edited: 20 May 2005
  3. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

errmmm, thats not EL wire sheldog23, its el SHEET, which imo looks very good

greensabbath, i recommend using that el sheet, it looks very good, and i reckon its the best way to get even lighting over your panels

case is looking great man, take care

4. -Erik-

-Erik- Guest

Maybe its an idea to drill some small holes in the side of the plexi. Put some 3mm bright white leds in them and link em all together. this will also mask the leds and the wires once they are in place inside the wood frame. you will have a white glow plus you wont see any of the leds/wires!

Is this do-able?

5. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

why not do something like rice paper?

6. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

In one word: Lovely!

7. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Looking nice, greensabbath.

I'm voting for the idea of LEDs in the edges of the plexi. Sand down the LED to make it diffuse, it should cast a beautiful glow. It won't be totally uniform, though, but it will still look very nice. By th way, who has used this EL sheet, and where are there pictures?

8. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Yea i would use rice paper. Try to stick with the japanese theme through out the whole thing and it will be awesome. If you can`t do it with rice paper then frosted plexi should be fine. Or what you can do is find a huge lamp that is made from paper the looks wrinkled and use that material for the sides. It will be heat resistant and it shouldnt be affected by the heat in the case. Like these lamps.
    http://www.garden-gifts.com/japanese_lamps.htm
    [​IMG]
    But maybe use the paper that is ribbed to give the sides some texture.
    [​IMG]

I`m with sheldog, the el sheet won`t fit the theme of the case and will look out of place.

9. gebrek

gebrek What's a Dremel?

for a strong rice paper look you can get Synskin from tap plastics. it will look better than the plexi and wood be stronger than actual rice paper.

10. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Wow...that's just about perfect for this project, I think...greensabbath, you should DEFINITELY look into that.

11. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

i had planned on rice papaer actually, but to light it, i can't have the light source right next to it, or all you see is a line, so i'd really have to have the light source in the middle of the case, which would be blocked by the interior frame.....sucks

12. kickarse

multiple diffused led's with lower power if rice paper...

sand paper a clear sheet of plexi and then use multiple led's on the edges... that might work...

13. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

i do like that stuff, but again, lighting is a problem, what if i put that in front of a clear acrylic panel that would be lit. the panel would hopefully light up that plastic paper stuff and i'd get the texture that i want?

14. kickarse

worth a try

15. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Then you should get that rice paper but then add a frosted plexi behind it to diffuse the light. This will light the paper evenly from the back and all you need is leds around the edges of the plexi. No middle light source needed.

16. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

yeah, that's kinda what i'm thinking, except another problem, there is no access to the edges of the plexi, since the doors have to slide past eachother, there is pretty much no clearence for anything to stick out either.hmmmmmmm

what about glowire all the way around the edge of the plex? would that do the same thing as the leds?

17. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Can you cut a channel in the wood frame of the door so the plexi can be slid in? Just like you did on the front plexi. Then you also cut a channel around the plexi so that there is room to run the wires. Then you drill holes on the side of the plexi to counter sink the LEDs. This way they wont stick out and interfere with the plexi sliding into the door.

No glow wire is very weak in lighting things up expect themselves.

18. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

how thick of plexi would i need for that, also how thin of leds, since the doors are only a half an inch thick, damn good idea though, that may work. oh also, are the leds drilled in on the face or on the edge?

19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Drill your LEDs into the edge (after sanding). You can use 3mm bright white LEDs to produce what you need. Make sure that you 'frost' the acrylic you mount them into first, as well as the LED...that will create a really diffuse light all the way across the plexi. Anything over the plexi (rice paper or rice paper-like acrylic) will then look like it's backlit from an undeterminable light source.

20. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

sounds sexy :naughty: yeah, i think that should work, i also have another idea along the same lines but will be easier to install hopefully, i'm gonna draw it up now and post it here hopefully soon..good thing i didn't buy that glowire garbage last night