1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Sapphire Pure PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LooZypher, 2 Nov 2010.

1. LooZypher

LooZypher Huh!? What!?

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Neither tbh. Sapphire doesn't make PSUs, and I can't figure out who the OEM is. Why not stick with a more established brand?

3. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

According to this review http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/845/pg1/sapphire-pure-1250w-power-supply-introduction.html the OEM is Enermax and it performs very well indeed with high efficiency, unfortunately this review is not up to the highest standard but apparently it is exactly the same as the Revolution85+.

Another unfortunate thing is that I don't remember any other reviews of similar quality of the lower rated units, nor an explanation of who the OEM(s) were for those.

For the system you have it doesn't look like you need anywhere near 1050 watts. So go for something cheaper with a lower rated wattage, possibly more well known.

4. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

It is indeed made by enermax, so should be pretty good (though there's no guarantee they aren't using lower quality components or something). If it's for your current system, you won't need more than a 500w unit, or maybe 650 to allow for crossfire. I believe the 625W sapphire PSU is based on the modu82+, if that's any help.

5. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

The Core 2 eats 65W. 4870 eats 130W. Then the rest like motherboard, RAM, and hard drive which eats very little power. A generous estimate is around 300W even after your slight CPU overclock. You would probably want to look into a 400W PSU.

To be honest, why do you want a Sapphire PSU at the 1KW range? They are only rated broze/silver and have nothing special. Just some rebranded enermax PSUs.

I would recommend a Seasonic 500W Gold rated PSU. Plenty of power and tons of efficiency. The extra watts is nice for furture builds, computers are getting more power hungry.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2010
  6. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Sapphire Psu, I can't contain my laugh. Why not BFG or a Mushkin ? Better than that an Ultra X-Connect XD Give you a favor, purchase an established brand.

7. LooZypher

LooZypher Huh!? What!?

Thank you all for your replies.

Sorry should have been more clear:
    I've got 3 velociraptors and a 500gb caviar black, and watercooling, and lights plus 2 usb devices (don't know why I didn't wrote that in the first place)...
    I am planning for the future that's why I'm aming for the large amount of wattage...
    according to more than one PSU calculator (yeah I know they're somewhat biased) I am getting close to 550watts, my current PSU is aprox 5 years old, so the capasitors are somewhat degraded

I know that, but Sapphire also stands for quality in my book, and I bet they wouldn't put their name on any cr*p

I've read more than one review and they do perform very well, but I can't make up my mind wether i should go all the way with 1250, or just the 1050

I'am planing to use this PSU on a future build, and I think it looks fantastic ;)

As stated earlier this PSU is based on a Enermax PSU

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

LOL, not a chance for you to be anywhere near that.

9. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

I got a Sapphire Pure 625W (rebranded Enermax Modu82+ 625W) for my system, and so far it is stable as a rock. Can't fault it at all for a £50 PSU that 625W, and semi-modular as well.

10. Marine-RX179

May be he means that's how much his generic PSU sucking off the wall socket :D

11. LooZypher

LooZypher Huh!? What!?

You're both probably right, as I said those calculators are biased...

.. And you are satisfied with your PSU?, would you buy that one again?

12. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Check your PM's Loo :)

13. Marine-RX179

If I want "better quality" PSU, I'd probably go with Corsair or XFX (as both are manufactured by Seasonic)...but they ain't exactly got their 600W ish PSU at as low as £50 :D

14. bagman

bagman Minimodder

they look like they are enermax psu, but i wouldn't buy one till there is confirmation on that. the best psu manufactures are seasonic and enermax

15. Marine-RX179

I was told by the etailer staff that they are indeed rebranded Enermax, and I have already compared the spec between the Sapphire Pure 625W with the Enermax Modu82+ 625W...they are identical.

16. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

And here's where I switch off.

17. Mr.Pie

Mr.Pie What's a Dremel?

sapphire's OEM for PSU's is enermax
    looks safe....but no much people know so they probably stay way *shrug

18. Marine-RX179

Nobody's telling you to blindly believe everything etailer says, but he is a mod of a forum with thousands register members, he could easily get caught off if he was bullsh1tting about products that his company's selling. And like I said, investigating into the specs of the PSUs...the two PSU are indeed identical.

And no he wasn't telling me on 1 to 1 basis, the claim was actually made when he was promoting the PSU on the forum.

19. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

URL?

I don't think Enermax's cheaper units are great either way, but I'm intrigued to see the context of your source.

20. Marine-RX179