1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sapphire takes Radeon HD 3850 to AGP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Jan 2008.

1. brianthesnail

brianthesnail What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the quick reply,basically i went with the HD3850 as its specs were far superior to the previous 7900gs,and this was reflected in the 3dmark benchmarks which were over 25k
    however i shall be converting to pci-express next month with the purchase of the "acer aspire M3641,and compared to my current system this is a goliath,gone are the pentium 4(3.2ghz) and 2gb of pc3200 ram to be replaced by a intel core 2 quad q6700 and 4gb of ddr2 ram,however it comes with a geforce 8600gt which allthough not a bad card will be quickly replaced by a radeon HD4850 or a nvidia gts250(your opinion would be appreciated)
    thanks again for the reply
    brianthesnail !

2. Bates37

Bates37 What's a Dremel?

HTPC

I disagree with the notion that the new 3850 AGP card is useless. I myself am looking at it for a possible conversion of my old computer into a HTPC after I build a new Core i7 system. At this time I have 2 options: a) buy a new motherboard, memory, and CPU and recycle the rest of my system; b) buy the AGP 3850. I will be useing the new Core i7 system to encode the content I will be using regardless, so the thing each system must do is be able to display HD content on my HD TV. The 3850 cost about $120 without shipping. An AM2 motherboard with integrated graphics that has an HDMI port and is capable of decoding HD cost 85$ all by itself. even with a 64 x2 CPU and cheap memory you are talking $160 without shipping, and it is > $200 with a cheap Phenom. Power consumption may be an issue, but I think it minor given the system will be in hybernate except when used to veiw content on the TV. I think this is a great use of this product and can potentially save my old computer from the scrap heap.

3. Robspace1

Robspace1 What's a Dremel?

Brianthesnail is 100% correct in what he says about this card. I have had it installed for about 2 months now and it's been great. I did have a Radeon 9600 and this thing is so much better, faster, and the graphics in all games is now fantastic. I have an AMD 64-3500w/ 1 gig of ram. I'm adding more soon but for now this has made a huge difference in the game play. I was not able to run Bioshock with my last card and Crysis was impossible except on the lowest settings. Now, everything is set to the highest settings and I have no crashes or errors at all. The driver that ships with the card is useless like he said but the Sapphire website has the right one, a hotfix that loads easy. This card cost me $115.00 frpm Newegg and it's given my system a few more years to run before I upgrade more. I have a 500 watt power supply and the fan on this card is super quiet. It is a long card though so be sure to check that you have room for it. This is a good deal and I'm real happy with it.

Tags: Add Tags