1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SAS Backplane for 8 sata drives from old servers - pin out?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dynamis_dk, 16 May 2020.

1. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

So I had come across a SAS backplane for an old HP ML350 G6 (511785-001) server which supports 8 drives so I had hoped I might be able to just knock up a power cable for it and connect to a standard PSU along with my LSI9211-8i for some easy access to multiple drives. Sadly I've been unable to find a pin out for it or been able to trace the power in any kind of way which makes any sense.

Is there an affordable way or anyone know of a similar SAS backplane which would be easier to get working with standard PC PSU? I really don't want to spend all that much money and to by something suited to the job looks to be £100+ :(

EDIT - Helps if I tell you guys the right server / model lol

Last edited: 17 May 2020
  2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

3. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Aren't ML350 G5 caddies for 6 drives? Or is your for 2,5" drives?
    I also have such caddy (413986-001) and had similar thoughts, but at the end just ended buying a 2u 12bay rack case for ~£100.
    The data is the standard SAS 4i interface (SFF-8484), getting cables from it to mini sas gets interesting/expensive (servercases.co.uk has one for £30, you need two...).
    The power is (traced it a while ago):
    1. 12V
    2. GND
    3. GND
    4. Unused (i2c, resistors not populated)
    5. Unused (i2c, resistors not populated)
    6. GND
    7. 3.3V
    8. 5V

4. dynamis_dk

Sorry its for the G6, 511785-001 board. Could have sworn that it was the G5 when I was googling around earlier today.

Just out of interest, what points did you use to trace the power? I was trying to go from the HDD port pins then testing each pin on the 10 pin connector, given the voltages for the SAS/SATA connector at the HDD is known I was hoping to just use that but the 10pin connector only corrisponded to the SAS/SATA pins for 12v and Ground so I figured I wasn't getting something quite right.

From the LSI card to the backplane its SFF-8087 to SFF-8087. I already have a couple SFF-8087 to Individual SATA (no power) and SFF-8087 to Full SATA (which accept a SATA modex into the connector) but I liked the idea of just having the two cables from the LSI and one power cable into the back to keep drive swaps easier

I found a ML350 G5 2.5" backplane on ebay for £7 so I'm gonna have a go with that as I've found someone with a pinout to try

Last edited: 17 May 2020
  5. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Pinout
    Yeh, also traced to hdd ports, though mine is a bit simpler PCB. One thing to watch out, is that on ordinary sata power the pins are grouped in 3, but on sas, some power pins have "alternative" functions.

6. dynamis_dk

I'm only planning to use it with SATA drives so hopefully any weirdness in the SAS spec shoulnd't be an issue hopefully :)

Cheers for the pointers guys... once I get chance to test it out I'll let you know how I get on