1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA Drive Detection Problem (XP)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boggy, 11 Mar 2005.

1. Boggy

Boggy New Member

Hi guys,

Mysystem currently has 2 80GB maxtor IDE133 drives, they are fully operational and working.
    I have recently purchased a 300GB SATA Maxtor Drive, i ahve a Abit Max2 Motherboard, i have plugged the drive in and the power.
    Booted from a floppy, FDISK picks the drive up, so i created a partition, and formatted it in dos.
    The problem is that Windows XP does not pick the drive up at all, not in Device Manager or My Computer nor in Partition Magic.

Does anyone now of any issues with any of this hardware? or why its not working!

I want to copy all my crutial data off the 2 x 80GB drives and run them in RAID 0 and just use them for my Program files and Windows directories thus redundancy is not an issue, all crutial data will be stored on the SATA Drive.

Thanks for the help

Regards

Boggy

P.S. Happy Red Nose Day

2. TMM

TMM Modder

have you installed the drivers for your sata controller?

3. Boggy

Boggy New Member

DOH! DOH!
    :wallbash: :wallbash:
    Will try that! i cant find the CD though was hoping windows would pick it up.

4. riluve

riluve New Member

XP is notorious for this. My SATA drives are fine under BIOS, but Windows can not find them without the manufacturers driver. If you can't find the CD, you can probably get it from their web-site.

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I have the same motherboard setup (which I find is a WONDERFUL mobo, by the way!). WinXP did not ship with native SATA support and requires that you use the Abit drivers to recognize the setup. They are available on the website or on your CD, but they're listed as SiS raid drivers (because the sata setup on our mobo lets you use raid 0/1).

As an aside, has anyone found how to make this board do raid 5? it has 4 sata ports, it should be able to...but the onboard controller only seems to recognize 0,1, or 0+1.