1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows SATA DVD-RW stopped working under Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bursar, 19 Feb 2007.

1. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Now I'm not sure exactly what's happened, but my DVD drive has stopped working properly. It did work fine, and I don't know if I've done something to Vista to stop it from working.

If I put a disk in, it spins away from ages, and Vista thinks it's a blank disk. I've tried DVDs and CDs bought from shops (both data and video/audio) and I've tried DVD-R and CD-R disks with selections of data on.

The disks all work fine in another machine, and if I put my SATA drive into a non-Vista PC it works fine (don't have another Vista machine to try it in). Hooking up a PATA drive on my PC also works fine.

I've tried rollbacks of Vista by a few days to make sure it's not something I've installed (I did have Daemon Tools installed and have rolled back to before). Vista sees the hardware fine, and isn't reporting any errors on it.

The drive is a Samsung SH-W163A with the latest firmware and I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit.

If anyone has any ideas why my drive might have suddenly stopped working, I'm love to hear them :)

2. MixWizard

MixWizard What's a Dremel?

have you tried to go and get some drivers for the drive from the manufacturer. Although it shouldnt make a difference its worth a shot. Also try unplugging the drive and booting without it in and the shut down and boot the pc up again but with the drive plugged in, (try a different SATA slot aswel).

3. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I had already tried different SATA slots (and the other SATA controller) to no avail. I did get it running by deleting the drive from Device Manager, and then scanning for new hardware changes to reinstall it.

Everything seems OK at the moment, so I'm crossing my fingers :)

4. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I had a similar issue, but when I booted back into XP it was still spinning up the disc (The Devil Wears Prada, lol) - I just downloaded the latest firmware and it worked fine.

That was with a Lite-on 18x dual layer IDE something or other.

5. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

Ive got the HP one (rebadged liteon or samsung - cant remember) but ive got no hassles in vista.

Tags: