1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thewhat, 11 Mar 2006.

1. thewhat

thewhat What's a Dremel?

I'm having an issue with the installation of a Western Digital SATA II hard drive. BIOS recognizes it but Windows won't, and when I run Data Lifeguard Tools, it doesn't recognized the drive either. I think it's a RAID problem with Windows, but I've disabled RAID on BIOS.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8I915P (915 chipset) with only SATA I ports. The WD site said that if you set the jumpers correctly, which I did, then the drive would revert back to SATA I speeds so as to work with my motherboard. I already have a 250GB Western Digital PATA hdd installed as my boot drive, and I'm trying to install 2 x 320GB Western Digital SATA II drives in addition.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Try going to control panel > administrative tools > computer managament > disk managament and format it there

3. thewhat

thewhat What's a Dremel?

I've tried that, but Windows does not recognize the drive so it does not show up in that menu.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Are the drive or any controllers listed in the Device Manager at all? Any unknown devices?

5. thewhat

thewhat What's a Dremel?

No, Windows entirely doesn't recognize it, though BIOS does. There aren't any unknown listings either.

update - I've solved the problem by uninstalling the old SATA RAID drivers and installing new ones, and messing with some BIOS settings. At first the two PATA optical drives that I have stopped working once the SATA drive began working, but I also reinstalled those drivers afterward and now it all works.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2006