1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SATA SSD or PCIE M2 adapter etc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Risky, 29 Aug 2022.

1. Risky

Risky Modder

I am running out of storage space on the main drive and I wonder if I should just swap in a bigger SATA SSD or get a PCIE M2 +M2 Drive as I might manage to upgrade the mainboard next year.

Thanks for any pointers

Current Storage is:
    C: Boot Samsung 850 EVO 256
    F: Games Samsung 850 EVO 256
    G: 3x 3.5 WD Red 3GB HDDs as Storage Space (rather underused these days)

Rest is fwiw
    E3-1285V2 3.6GHZ (ES)
    Z77 Maximus V Gene 16GB DDR3
    ASUS RTX3060Ti Mini

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I'd just get a SATA one, can still go in a new build, you'd be wasting money on a PCIe card, when a new motherboard would have that socket natively. (and the SATA could still be good storage in a new PC too)

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Often on systems that old you won't be able to boot off of a NVME drive.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

I've just (3 days ago) added a Asus M2 Hyper card to my pc to give me more NVME slots. Currently running it with a single 2TB drive and it was very easy to get up and running. I'll add more drives to it as I need them and when the time comes to upgrade this PC I plan on simply moving the Hyper card with all its drives to the next PC. I'd really recommend this route as it leaves (for me at least) the 2 motherboard attached M2 drives for the boot and program drives.

5. Risky

Risky Modder

I got nervous about boot issues and picked up a SATA SSD from scan. This is my main business PC as well and I don't want to risk downtime! M2 can come next time

Thanks all

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Note, this is not the route for someone on Z77 or most desktop system, as it requires 4x PCIe lanes per M2, mostly only found in HEDT if you were to fully populate.

BA_13 likes this.
  7. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

You're right, it completely slipped my mind that most motherboards only have 16 PCIe lanes for the PCIe slots despite that being one of the main reasons I went with the X299 system.
    Thanks for posting this as I'd not want someone to follow my advice and get bandwidth issues.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2022