1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA to IDE .. Urgent help needed (RESOLVED)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mayze, 13 Sep 2005.

1. Mayze

Mayze PH34R my ROBO Squirrel!

Just want to start out by saying hi :) used to come on here alot with my modding projects. Modded 2 cases and then stopped because my fiance and I were having problems with our relationship and we broke up and all that good stuff. Won't get into it, that's not why I'm here =P I havent posted here in a year or two, but here goes...

ok, so my g/f surprises me for my birthday by ordering me a new 320GB Western Digital SATA drive (Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JD 320GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM) from newegg. It comes today and I'm shocked to find that it's Serial, and my mobo only supports IDE. So, i go to the local PC shop, and ask the guy for a PCI card that would let me use the SATA drive as IDE. he walks around and looks at a few things saying "this is what you need" about 5 times before he finally came to the decision this last card was what i needed. I ended up taking home a "Creative I/O - SATA RAID Controller Card (2 Ports SATA & 1 Port IDE)

I know nothing about SATA drives, never had one, always had IDE. So I buy this PCI card. I go home, put it in, and it tells me that i need another hard drive with it. The manual also states that i should run a second drive as close to the capacity as the other one. I'm not made of money or anything and neither is my g/f so screw buying another 320GB drive, would be alot of space, but not needed at all.

After messing with this thing for the rest of the day, I don't know if this is the PCI card that i needed. i searched around the net and I see PCI cards that are "SATA to IDE converters" and vice versa.

Can anyone let me in on the secret if he had me buy the wrong card, or I have the right one and I'm just not doing something right? Like i said, It wants me to run 2 drives, and I don't want to, i just want to run the SATA drive on its own.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Figured I would come here to ask the pro's :)

Last edited: 13 Sep 2005
  2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The card you were given is a raid card, ie you need 2+ hdd's for the array. So, yes the guy gave you the wrong product. However there should be some sort of boot rom on the card, which might allow you to change to a single drive/IDE mode.

As for the sata -> ide convertors, you CAN get ide -> sata, but i'm not 100% sure about the other way, dont see why not though...

3. Mayze

ok so am i looking for a controller card or just a PCI card with a couple of SATA slots on it? ive been searching newegg for about an hour now, not sure if im looking in the right areas, heh. I need a card that i would be able to boot from and install an OS on it. i was reading some reviews on the controllers and some of them people say that you can't boot a single drive with no OS from it. I hate this :duh: women are evil and shouldnt be allowed to buy hardware.

EDIT: think i found one .. would this work? Looks like it will convert my SATA drive so i can plug it into my IDE slot on my mobo .. correct me if im wrong :lol:

Last edited: 13 Sep 2005
  4. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Yes, you can get a SATA-IDE brige adapter... It plugs on to the board and then you can use the SATA cable.

5. TMM

TMM Modder

Set up the disk in a JBOD array (the sata card *should* support it, unless its really crappy). Its probably set to Raid 1 or 0 atm, which is why its asking for another disk.

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You can simply get a PCI sata controller, 2 ports aren't expensive at all! You should be able to install an OS to it, you will just need the drivers for the HDD. The 4 year old mobo for my server detected the raid card the first time it was booted after it was installed.

7. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

SATA is IDE

8. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

9. Mayze

i tried everything with the RAID controller .. when the pc loads up, it opens the array manager if i hit tab. i had tried the 320gb and a 20gb together .. set it to JBOD .. and it kept telling me that the 20gb was too small.

When i try to load it with just the single SATA 320gb drive, it says that i need more drives to create an array .. so instead of screwing with this, ill just go see if i can manage to find a bridge to get this thing working.

and yeah, it's a cheap card, was only $20 .. you get what you pay for i guess :sigh:

10. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Just let it drop. SATA and PATA are both forms of IDE, but since we previously only had one (common) form of that, we call it IDE. Do you call your watch a wristwatch or just a watch?

11. Mayze

ok so imade a trip back to the pc store. This time, looking myself instead of getting help from the sales people (I've learned my lesson), i ended up picking up a Serial ATA to IDE bridge host ..

http://www.sunix.com.tw/en/Promotion-1.php?sid=184

Currently formatting the hard drive .. but it's taking a little bit of time to actually format it .. not sure if that's the bridge making it lag a bit or if it's taking a while to format because it's such a big drive. I'll see how it goes once I get xp loaded :thumb:

Just wanted to thank you guys for the help :)

12. MrWillyWonka

Well, you are slowing down the data transfer by using IDE, but it won't be a huge change. And secondly, if you are doing a full format, then yes, 320GB will take a fair bit of time! This is why it is better to install an OS on a small 40GB drive and use the larger drives as storage or program installation. So if you want to reinstall the OS, you don't need to reformat 320gigs of space! Athlough a quick format will make things quicker.

13. TMM

TMM Modder

or just make a small 30GB or so partition for windows, so you only have to format that every time you reinstall windows :p

14. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

quick format people, takes seconds :p

15. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

Bad example. Do you say, I need to convert my watch to a wristwatch?

Is this a technical form or not? This is a really bad technical blunder the - the kind I face everyday - "oh, you said put it on the hard drive, and my 3.5" disk is in a hard case, so I thought that's what you meant." "Where is the any key? It says hit the anykey."

Sorry, there is a reason for technical terms, to convey very specific technical meaning. Either you use them right, or be prepared to be corrected when you use them in a completely inappropriate fashion.

16. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Technically, there is no ATA controller on the motherboard - it's a host adapter, because the controller is actually on the drive (hence IDE). People still use the term "controller" - I've heard many say "oh, the motherboard has a dead disk controller" - to refer to the motherboard's host adapter because that's the one that they are familiar with. The same goes for IDE/PATA.

I do agree that people should use PATA instead of IDE as a term, but I just think that since a few made the mistake, the phrase has become so commonplace that it's now impossible to rectify. Within a few years, it'll be irrelevant anyway since what people know as IDE cables are disappearing fast.

17. MrWillyWonka

I would agree with hitman012. Although this is a techincal forum, we say IDE as in PATA as everyone will know what you are talking about, it doesn't matter if its not techincally correct, but if everyone knows what you are referring to, then there isn't a problem!

18. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

nope, its an ide hard drive vs a serial ata hard drive. its that way to the majority so there is no need to correct it. its not confusing at all you know what people are talking about when they say ide hard drive. correcting people is just being eliteist

19. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

yup what he said :thumb:

20. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

So stop being eliteist.

It is simply wrong. There is no excuse for it. There is need for correction because not everyone knows what they are talking about as you have proven with your very statement and it is obviously confusing or there wouldn't have been the mistake in the first place.

Next you will have me calling my case and everything inside it a CPU.