1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Saying NO to recommended SLI Slots

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by User-sam, 14 Mar 2016.

1. User-sam

User-sam When in doubt, follow your nose.

Hi Guys,

Bit of an odd questions but I recently purchased an official Nvidia SLI bridge to go with my 2x reference 980Ti's, I'm a bit of a stickler for matching items. :lol:

Unfortunately because I'm slightly stupid I purchased the 3 Way SLI version with the intention of getting a 3rd 980Ti latter down, however I forgot that my motherboard recommends the card's go in specific PCI-E slots for different SLI configurations.

So I'm currently running my 2x 980Ti's with the SLI bridge but in slots 1 and 3 opposed to 1 and 2b.

Long story short I wanted to know is this an issue and will it cause any sort of stability/performance issue?

Thanks as always guys!

SLI Recommended Config:

[​IMG]

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Basically like it says, the lanes coming from the PLX chip will have a different latency to the ones coming directly from the CPU.

So you will have full 16x bandwidth for each card, which may come in handy for the occasional extreme situation if a game needs to constantly swap lots of data between the Vram and System ram which seeing as you have 6GB, shouldn't occur often at all (although with some console ports relying on shared ram, splitting this between a PC's System and Vram will make more demands on your system)

On the other hand the latency difference may be more likely to produce microstutter which is when say 60fps feels more like 30fps. Nvidia does have good framepacing so that should compensate, maybe the the cost of 1 or 2fps.

If you feel that some games aren't as fluid as they could be, try getting a cheap SLI bridge for testing purposes and put the 2nd card in slot 2B. See if it makes a difference.

3. User-sam

User-sam When in doubt, follow your nose.

Hi Deders,

Really appreciate the feedback and prompt response. I have played a few games with the GPU's in there current setup and can't personally notice any micro stutters. However I do have G-Sync enabled so I don't know if this will have any knock on effect to me being able to notice?

I will keep a keen eye when playing games just to make sure the games seem to be as stutter/latency free as possible.

I do however have a spare short SLI bridge if I require to make a comparison. Anyway I'm pleased that it should theoretically be ok.

Once again really appreciate the feedback. :thumb:

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Not everyone is aware of the difference between stutter and microstutter. When a game pauses for a split second whilst waiting for something from a disk or something similar, this is not microstutter and could be caused by something very different, for instance hard paged faults.