1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sc0rians hard drive window project<Hard drive might be dead>"56k get a coffee"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sc0rian, 17 May 2003.

1. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

awesome work, I have a 60mb dissambled(the data part is in plastic baggie of course) I need to finish up...btw guys, i have 48 volt leds. They come with resistors built in when they have a rating beyond 4 volts typically.

2. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

:hehe: :hehe: Data? What data?? 60mb!! Thata a collectors item, put it next to the 5.5inch floppy disks (the ones that you could actually bend) :lol:

3. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

That isn't anything, I have a 50 mb WD that still works (suprising, as it is WD :p), a 300 and a 340 Maxtor, and another small drive I can't remember right off the bat...

If I ever get the desire to do a HDD window mod, I'll have pleanty of practice :dremel: [​IMG]

//made the : oops : one myself :rock:

4. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

the : oops : smilie kicks arse! :hehe: :hehe:

5. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

hehe, thanxs..

Well it is a risk doing it and the only experience I have had is on that temp hard drive....
    /me hugs his 60gb
    Today I am very busy fixing computers I want to get around to my hard so I can drill a whole tho and set up the blue led in it.... All in good time....[​IMG]

6. Green Soda

:lol: Hehe, is that the "Bling Bling" smilie that says "i have extra money, so im gonna rip open a 60gig drive?!?!?" :lol: :lol: :D

7. Sc0rian

lol:hehe:

I was busy yesterday so didnt work on my project:waah: But I am going to work on it till lunch time. I want to work on it all day but I can't:wallbash:

8. Sc0rian

OK ALL, ITS DONE!!!!!!"HAVE TO WAIT 24HRS"

Right first of cutting the hole for the cable so the blue led will work. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, after all that I just hope the led works:p
    [​IMG] [/IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like now. Just hope it stills works lol.....

I have to wait 24 hrs so the glue to dry. This took 3 hrs today so altogther its taken 5 hrs"thank you to andrew field for helping":D

Last edited: 22 May 2003
  9. olv

olv he's so bright

nice one :) hope it still works, WE WANT PICS TOMORROW :p

10. Sc0rian

thnxs...

The only probelm is fitting it the front of my case... I'm worried if it will fit...

11. SiMonTiST

SiMonTiST Minimodder

:D

That looks really nice and shiny! I can't wait to see whether you broke it or not :lol:

:dremel:

12. Green Soda

I dont want to know if you broke it!! :waah: :waah: That would NOT be cool!! :nono: :wallbash:

13. quix

quix What's a Dremel?

i'm sorry to "disappoint" you, but i don't know how he would drill these holes without breaking it. :(

14. Sc0rian

He? ME....I drilled them..

I did drill without breaking it....:D

15. quix

quix What's a Dremel?

and it's still working 100%? how did you keep the dust away while drilling? that hd has very high density disc, very little dust can break it, or make parts of it unreadable, or slow down access! i had such experiences with a 10 gig hd!
    there's always dust in the air, and how you kept it open while making the photos doesn't look too promising :rolleyes:

but if it really works without the mentioned problems, conratulations!!! :thumb:

16. Sc0rian

no I have to wait 24hrs so the glues drys..

And to get no dust on the disc is very very hard. When I was drilling the bits just got sucked in the the vac....

And I do hope it does work

17. Sc0rian

Save as target i used geocities

**** the hard drive don't work wacth the video and u will see...

Thank god I have boardband to upload it, its on 800k/b tho

18. quix

quix What's a Dremel?

doesnt sound good :waah:

if this would have worked, i would go and mod my 80 gig maxtor, but now... i have modded a 10gig hd, with the said problems, and a 2 gig hd, which is working great, with 2 leds, blue one (4000mcd) is always on, and a white (8000mcd) activity led! looks great! there isn't a head on the top disk, so it doenst look too good, but because of that, dust wasnt a problem on this one! there's a little problem though, there is a mechanism, that frees the heads once the discs have enough speed (so the heads dont move when turned off), which my top-plate presses on a little bit, so it wont free the heads everytime... will fix that probably this weekend. will reopen it, as dust isnt a problem on this one.

might try to mod the 80 gig anyway, the top-plate seems to be similar between most hd's (except wd, maybe some others too), so, i would build one in advance, and just swap them quickly (in a room with little dust).

EDIT: here are two little videos of that 2 gig hd (both <300kb):

video 1
    video 2

oh yeah, btw, that blue led is taped on the outside, i will move it inside when fixing that mechanism.

Last edited: 23 May 2003
  19. Sc0rian

I might of just had bad luck, after all its maxtor

It has turned to this now Here :waah:

I have noticed something new, when the hard drive is spinning and I move it its feels really really strange, something pulling like a magnet in it....???Does anyone now why??
    BEn

Last edited: 23 May 2003
  20. Green Soda

your links not working btw, prob maxed your bandwith...

So, its broken?? I guess this is a little late, but now that i think of it, you could have taken some silicon sealent (or whatever you used for the top), and put a drop or two in the area you wanted to drill. Then, while keeping the bag as closed as possible, taken the drill and drilled through hte silicon. It would have stoped any particles from flying into the drive... Oh well, there goes $60usd!!!

<edit> CRAP!!! im getting the urge to crack open my WD 60 gig and have a look inside!!!!! <struggles>MUST......HOLD.....DREMEL....OF DEATH.....AWAY....FROM......EXPENSIVE DRIVE!!!!!!!