1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Scan 3XS Scorpion-X PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Mar 2011.

1. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

If Scan spent more time on the build quality / testing and less time on the gaudy graphics then the build would be all the better for it.

£3,700 for this is a joke and not a good one.

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Turns out there IS a way to make the FT-02 look awful.

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I like both the scorpion cut-outs and the colour scheme, couldn't see me dropping that much on a system though.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe:

Personally I will probably always prefer air cooled, no hassle maintenance, cheaper & no paranoia of leaks & I've been able to have a nice overclock since core2duo days :thumb: & sandybridge temps @ 4.5ghz are awesome on quiet fans & a good heatsink in a well cooled case.

I have tried water cooling before I started making my own cases & even a total water cooling newb like me got the orientation correct rad, res, pump, block but was not at ease knowing water was flowing around inside my pc case so I dismantled it after a few days & sold the parts :hehe: was just way too worried about a future leak & it wrecking all my parts that I couldn't afford to replace :lol: I also was expecting a massive difference in temps but they were only about 4c cooler than my old TRUE heatsink & it was a d-tek block & tripple rad.

£3,700 is a lot to put out for a rig but I guess there are people where that kind of money isn't much.

5. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

£3,700 and looking cheap and nasty....no thanks.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yeah the scorpion grill and the colour scheme looks nice imo & all the insides do too but seems they done it wrong with such high temps, like the air being pulled from within the case, for such high cost I'd expect true masterclass modding on board.

7. RedRaider

RedRaider The RealRedRaider

:hehe: I remember that build....

Charles H. didn't have his pump plumbed correctly, yet it was a MDPC showpiece...:grr:

8. isaac12345

isaac12345 New Member

The Arma 2 result is quite interesting. Does it mean that high end CPU still lack that grunt that modern GPUs require?

9. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

To some extent, although Arma II is pretty unique in that it loves every bit of hardware you can throw at it - more CPU performance, more CPU cores, more GPU performance, more GPUs... oh and it loves SSDs too.

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: That was something I forgot to comment on, bet it's great when running smooth, I avoided that game because of it needing a beast to run it well, think it's time to try it out :thumb:.

11. tozsam

tozsam New Member

On the point of warrenty, all the parts in here might get 2+ years, but not after you have added watercooling.

12. Pete@Scan.co.uk

Pete@Scan.co.uk New Member

Dear All,

I would like to take this opportunity to say thanks for taking time to read the review posted here on Bit-Tech of the Scan 3XS Scorpion-X.
    Whether the comments posted here are positive or negative we do listen to end users views and they are greatly appreciated.
    In response to your comments we would like to note the following.

Firstly as pointed out by Coolrunnin the CPU block has been mounted incorrectly. The Scorpion-X system was originally sent to CeBit as a demo unit and was running a different hardware configuration. Originally the radiator, & reservoir/pump combo was in a different position which meant the flow was actually in the correct direction.

When it became knowledge we would receive a waterblock for the GTX590 time was a precious commodity. We had to remove the original GTX580’s, PSU and rearrange the whole cooling system to accommodate the Graphics card.
    Not doubly checking the direction of flow on our part was a major oversight. The engineer holds his hands up and acknowledges a mistake occurred.
    The time taken to turn around the system and get it to Bit-Tech in time for launch was very tight; having said that it shouldn’t have been missed.

I’d also like to clarify the following points:-

1) Firstly the review was not to say whether or not a different VGA choice would be a better option. It was more of a technology piece for the GTX590.

2) The Scorpion image on both sides of the chassis is laser cut and costs far more than £40 total. What you need to consider is this. We need to send the chassis side panels to our laser cutters, get them to do the job, and then arrange a collection. In this we have two charges of courier fees and the cost of the actual cutting itself. We even priced the job at two different companies and they were less than £5 difference between the two. Our actual cost taking into consideration these factors is more than double what has been suggested. Then after we receive the side panels back from the fabricators we then have to evaluate the cut to make sure it is suitable for the next process.....the paint finish.

3) The paint finish is not powder coated. It’s actually finished in Pearlescent White Two Pack paint. The process involves sanding the side panels, then they are painted in a low bake spray booth. As part of this process they are etch primed, primed in 2 pack high build primer. They are then baked hard for 25mins at 70 degrees Celsius. Once baked they are then rubbed down again before being placed in the Low Bake Oven again , Solid Colour White Basecoat is applied then multiple coats of the White Pearlescent paint before being finished in a number coats of two pack lacquer and baked again.
    After all this they are then couriered back to Scan with a further cost involved.
    So a suggestion of.... Powdercoat... £40 is very under exaggerated.

4) The price of the hardware excluding the Build/Test/Configure fee comes to £2900. With an additional £460 for the Laser Cut Front Panel, Laser Cut Sides, Mesh, and paint finish. Please bear in mind the photographs really do not do it any justice, it is not a powder coated finish, its exactly the same professional finish as you would find on a car.

All in all under any other circumstance we would of spent many more man hours making sure the system was fully CPC/Bit-Tech stable at more reasonable voltages and temperatures. However given the time we had to carry out the changes & make sure it passed the Bit-Tech stress test was short.

Once again many thanks for the responses outlined in your comments. We want to make it clear we do not bury our heads in the sand and say “We are right and that’s final”

Having said all this we have arranged to get the system back to Scan for a full investigation. We will then evaluate the outcome and make the necessary changes to ensure full system stability at much more reasonable temperatures.

Kind Regards,

3XS Systembuild Team

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
  13. ChrisP

ChrisP Retail Sales Manager

Thanks Pete for the detailed response.

:)

14. PabloFunky

PabloFunky New Member

I agree £40 for powdercoating, was what i pay, so obviously i would have to add the petrol and time to collect etc,

So realistically the powdercoat for me would be nearer the £50 mark i agree.

Laser cut would be £40 or so per side, my mistake, assumed was 1 side.

I get wet coat done for around £50 and that was for a flip paint, 2 base coats, pigment coat, laquer, however it was a special price to me.

Seems like i should start offering the service myself for powdering and the like, but i know for a fact that others will also get powdering for the same price if not lower.

as for the 95c temp, anyone can make a mistake, and its nice to see that its been resolved.

Im keeping my money, but if others wanna buy it, then its up to them, at the end of the day, if the price is seen as too high by the customer, then it doesent matter how you try to justify the price really.

15. ChrisP

ChrisP Retail Sales Manager

PabloFunky

This case is not Powder Coated so I am unsure why the charges for such a service are still being discussed as it is not relevant to this particular review.

This is a premium system aimed at the enthusiast, we don't expect this to appeal to the mass market, we appreciate the pricing isn't for everyone and we build a wide range of systems to try to accommodate every potential buyer.

Best Regards

16. PabloFunky

PabloFunky New Member

Yeah, sorry about the powdercoating bit, just got powdercoat in my head and cant get it out.

My friend is a sprayer at a spray shop, so i prob get a better price than for a typical customer?

Always looking for new and wonderfull finishes that dont scratch easily.

Its a nice system, the price is a "Sting in the tail" so to speak, sorry for the pun

17. Jampotp

Jampotp dem spacers are well phat init blud

Nice system. If I had the cash, this would certainly be one of my first choices, once the cooling issue is sorted. Judging by Pete's detailed response above, the customer support would be excellent. Good work Scan!

18. r3loaded

r3loaded Well-Known Member

The CPU voltage really needs to be dropped at lot. That's pretty much the only fly in the ointment, and would solve the heat issue instantly. Others might criticise the choice of case, and I personally wouldn't pick the FT02 for watercooling, but it's been made to work well here.

Finally, please do remember that we are a very elite bunch here - yes, we have the ability to watercool and mod our computers however we like, but many other people don't have that skill (I, for one, don't have either the knowledge or tools for cutting or painting a case). They'd happily spend the money if it means getting a reliable product. If you have an issue with the price, this computer is probably not marketed at you. ;)

19. rjkoneill

rjkoneill New Member

regardless of the turnaround time and costs involved in the creation of this system, basic errors have been presented to the public as a premium system.

why would anyone want to spend £3k + on a system that has massively obvious flaws in its design.

regardless of how tight time was, presenting this in such a public way is just asking for a grilling.

im not too bothered about the custom panels and paint job, i know that is scans thing and it gets you a rep.

what i am concerned about is the fundamental errors in the build. if time was tight then fair enough, but if i spent more than a few grand on a system i would expect it to be in perfect order.
    grotty scratched compression fittings and the lack of pump damping just cry out that this is a rush job.

i think it was a poor move making this public as it will do more harm than good. it doesnt inspire confidence at all.
    the fact that bit tech have given a system with such outrageous basic design flaws and shocking build quality such high review scores leads me to also question their review methodology.

i know i may come across like i am being very picky about this and the chances are that you wont be selling this system to watercooling experts, so they wont know. but putting a fancy design on something is easy. when its used to cover up basic errors then it really is a poor show

20. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

nice to see some real feedback... comment and conjecture only get us so far. Do Scan think they have come out of this leaving a positive image in the minds of the people who read this site, and also perhaps spend money with Scan?

Tags: Add Tags