1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School-run Drivers

Discussion in 'General' started by Nath, 21 Sep 2004.

1. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

This is basically a rant about parents who refuse to drive normal sized cars or walk to school, or take public transport. I understand that mumsy and dadders might feel it's too dangerous, but it's really not that bad. Plus, I'm not bothered about small cars, that don't just sit there for twenty minutes in the morning and at 4 o'clock belching out fumes, just the monstrosities.

My point was proved today when I was on my way home from school (on my non-polluting bike of course :D ) when a van passed me, covering me in fumes, which was then followed by a Hummer H2. I'd never seen these in the flesh but I know that they do about 14mpg, and the environment cowers before them. Now, why is that, or any sort of van,land rover etc., necessary to take a schoolbag and maybe kit to school?

</rant>

I'd like to hear what you think about this matter, so please tell me! :thumb:

2. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

I agree. One thing... don't mock Landys!

Oh and on the H2 thing, I saw two within ten minutes of each other! (personally, I think the Bowler Wildcat beats them hands down.)

- H.

3. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Umm the H2 is not a major poluter. Modern GM SUVs are not as bad as you make them sound.

4. ajack

ajack rox

H2 does even less than 14mpg iirc.

Train rules ;)

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

6. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

The H2 will get 14-20 depending on your driving conditions.

7. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

In the US, SUV's are extremely popular. Probably about half of the vehicles driven to my school are SUVs (mostly Ford Explorer's and the likes). I prefer a smaller car, but I still like a regular-sized SUV. The normal-sized ones get decent mileage, unlike something huge like H2.

My car (Mazda) gets about 20mpg in city and nearly 30mpg on the highway.

8. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Omg I hate school run drivers. All kids should be forced to walk to school if they live under 3 miles away.

9. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

When i was in highschool i used to walk. i was only about a half mile away. I think i was the only one that walked to school.

10. olv

olv he's so bright

OMFG YOU INFURIATE ME BEYOND BELIEF

11. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Believe it or not, thats probably around the average mpg most people in America get. :blah:

12. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

I understand things may be different across the pond, but here's the situation on this side (especially here in Texas, the state with the most trucks per-capita (possibly even in the world)).
    Small, fuel effecient cars here are expensive. This is fact.
    Big ugly trucks are cheap. Got mine for just over $1k

You say the small car saves enough money to justify it.

Not when you have no credit.

When you have no credit you can't get financing. Your only choice is to buy a car with cash.

You say ride a bike.

I go to uni 20 miles away from home.

You say take public transportation.

I go to uni in the largest city in the United States that doesn't have public transportation. The closest bus stop to my house is 10 miles away, and that will only take me to Fort Worth, which is still 15 miles away from uni. The closest train station is 15 miles from my house and that will only take me to Dallas or Fort Worth, 20-15 miles away respectively.

So, as you can see, I am screwed. And I am not alone. There are many just like me. Two guys in my physics class drive 30-40 miles to uni every day (note: that's 40-mi round trip for me and 60-80mi round trip for them)

Oh, and before you say to live on campus, even commuting this far, getting 12mpg, is cheaper than living on campus.

And before you say go to a cheaper school, the only uni cheaper than this one in Texas is the local community college, and they don't even have an EE program, just the basic maths/english/history/soc-sci... here I won't have to take english/history/soc-sci... so I can focus on EE stuff.

So until I can get some credit, or save up $5000+, I will be in this situation, with my 1990 Bronco getting 10-12mpg. And, as I said, I am not alone.

13. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

That's not true. Even suburbans get 18-24mpg. An average of all american's vehicles excluding commercial trucks is probably around 25-30mpg.

14. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

LOL - That's the gas guzzling yanks for you (well their gas guzzling economy)

Back on the topic of the 'school run' I can speak from experience having lived near to two schools. I really don't have the words to explain how much selfish mummys (and daddys) do my head in. The one place I lived you couldn't even get into/out of the road at 'school run' time let alone park.

All those people have one thing on their minds... must get where I'M going, must get where I'M going, I don't care about anyone else. GET OUT OF MY WAY!

And when will people learn that you only need a 4x4 if you drive off road, that's why they used to be known as 'off road' vehicles!!! :wallbash:

15. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Well OK, I think we can pretty much say the H2 has crappy mileage....

But like someone said, it's not all SUVs. Citroen Berlingo is quite a big car (well...kind of...) and it does quite close to 40mpg with plenty of storage space for any sort of stuff you'd need on the school run.

Also, froggy, I live about half a mile away too...takes me ~5 mins to ride my bike to school, ~7 mins to walk it, and it's good for your health. Parents complain about children getting fat, but they're driving them everywhere which hardly helps.

16. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

waht does my head in more is some dude in a 4 liter SUV/landy H2 givin it taters at traffic lites revving the **** out of there engin. trying to intimidate me in my punto (1.2) when im just as fast off the mark as them and i get 300+ miles out of a full tank (47 liters) with me driving it mums car when im driving can do about 250 miles to a 50 liter tank with me driving( 1.8 focus) she can get 350 out at a push and she used to get a clean 500 miles out of her metro on a full tank.

now theres nothing better than to see a well used 4x4 (as used by farmers and off roaders) even the super clean ones that you can tell are used properly.

theres a range rover downt he road from me that they have put 24" fox racing alloys on and low profile tyres theres no chance in hell they will stick to the mud. whats the point of alloys if they dont put bigger disks in there.

its never been taken off road it still has a showroom shine on it had never been muddy once.

17. dmcm01

dmcm01 Banned

my mother owns two mum-trucks and i make a point of walking the 3 miles to college and the 3 miles back everyday....... :D

18. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

just wait till you get 2 women talking in the middle of the road(in their useless SUVs)

19. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I know exaclty what you mean. I live opposite two schools. I just can't understand the mentality of taking one small child to school and back in a 7 seater people carrier.

I have seen more people walking lately with the people trains (a few adults taking it turn to walk a group of their children to and from school, wearing high visibility vests) whihc I think is a great idea, but the lazy peoples cars are getting bigger and bigger with fewer children in them.

And don't get me started on their driving. Seriously scary at times. I've had plenty of near misses from careless drivers paying more attention to kids in the back of their car than on the road. I try to make a point of not being on the roads at the same time as them now.

20. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

lol, i drive a scooter, costs me liek $3.50 CDN to gas up and drive 4 a week. My dad drives a chevy avalance tho, i cringe at the $80 it costs him to fill up.

Edit: also, 4x4 is usefull for people in cold climates (canada and northren US). Personally i find that with the "auto 4x4" engaged on an icy/snowy road it really helps. It's nice to have when you need it, but alot of people in the states will say that and use it 1nce a year, probably when they didn't even need it.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2004