1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Sci-fi recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by Archtronics, 13 Sep 2012.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

falling skies and continuum are the 2 more modern releases both are good.

star trek orginal next gen and ds9 all worth watching, BSG remake also. Stargate atlantis is ok if you can deal with the way the show is set.

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Can't believe Fringe has only been mentioned once so far. Also, as several others have suggested, Babylon 5. Might as well get the complete box off Amazon for 70 GBP. :)

Another suggestion, which I believe hasn't yet been made, would be Lexx (for something a bit more off beat).

3. PAULWARDEN

PAULWARDEN What's a Dremel?

i had totally forgotten about that series nice one harlequin

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

No way, Voyager and Enterprise were awesome. Series 3 and 4 of enterprise was some of the best star trek there is imo.

Those who say BSG remake say the truth... it is awesome.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

BSG. Truly amazing on every level, just a shame it only ran four seasons. I just can't get over how perfect Bill Adama is.

I'd support Star Trek in its various forms:
    ToS - Better on the Blu Ray remakes, but shows its age. Still some good episodes though, and should be watched.
    TNG - Having just plowed through the new Season 1 Blu Ray I'm happy with the purchase. Again, a bit dated though, and I now wish that story arcs existed!
    DS9 - Gets very good towards the end (last 2-3 seasons), but generally excellent.
    Voy - Probably my weakest, but plenty of good stuff in there.
    Ent - Actually, I love Enterprise. The feel of the ships is pitch perfect, being some mid-ground between ToS and today's theory. Story arcs get really really good in seasons 3 & 4, and it's a crying shame it didn't go for the full 7 seasons. Okay, the opening theme is a bit lame, but get over it...

6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Forgot about the 4400, that was pretty fun and can be had for cheap on dvd these days.

7. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Startrek TNG, TOS, DS9 Voyager, Enterprise
    Stargate SG-1, Atlantis, Universe
    Eureka
    Farscape
    Fringe
    X-Files
    Full Metal Alchemist (anime)
    BSG
    Dr. Who
    Red Dwarf
    Earth Final Conflict
    Babylon 5

That's about all i think of right now.

8. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Falling Skies is good, what about Lost Girl?

9. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Got started on falling skies, bit unsure of it atm but it always takes me a while to get into things.

10. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

2/3rds of that sentance is factually correct. I leave the rest of the class to work out which is the odd one out. :p

The only redeeming feature Andromeda had was Lexa Doig.

11. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Tis good - and not just for the whole succubus titilation factor of bonking anything with a pulse to heal and feed. :)

12. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The first season and a half of Andromeda (up until the writer's strike) were brilliant. After that it went significantly downhill.

I'm currently going through Sliders. IMHO it had one of the best concepts but there are some real stinkers in that mixed bag of episodes.

13. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

For a good [bad] sci-fi movie, check out Iron Sky. It has space Nazis!

14. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

There is the odd dud episode, but up until the end of season 3 when John Rhys-Davies left, I'd say it was overall pretty solid. The last two seasons are a bit iffy in terms of quality (as they dropped most of the original cast) but generally aren't too bad.

As for the star trek thing:

I liked the design and the cast of Voyager, but the writing was pretty bad and made a lot of the characters very inconsistent (also, not nearly enough of the doctor)

I've seen the first 3 seasons of enterprise and overall I like it (Annoyingly long intro aside) It's interesting to see a captain that isn't always right and completely out of his depth. He is very different to the other star trek captains, and reminds me more of old explorers or those mad people who used to test rocket cars and such.

15. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

I wasted six quid on that film .... Utter crap !

16. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Seen it, great concept and vfx ruined by a bad plot and actors

17. Jokaz

Jokaz What's a Dremel?

Yep amazingly bad movie

18. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

In case it hasn't been said enough: Watch Babylon 5!

RE: Sliders

I'm not saying they are all stinkers (but for my wife and I season 3 was a bit of a slog through bad episodes), as a matter of fact there are also a few gems in the series so far.

I'm thinking that while the premise was great and allowed them to explore almost any topic or theme the fact that it was a new Earth every episode meant that most topics got a rather rushed treatment. For some topics and themes that may have been more that I enjoyed and for others that was way less than I thought the topic deserved.

For us Seasons 1 & 2 were better and we're just starting Season 4 - with mixed expectations.

19. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Just to throw my hat into the ring - although it seems they have been very well covered:

Battlestar Galactica remake - most definitely a classic as has been stated with great parallels
    Babylon 5 - another wonderful watch with relevant scripts even today
    Space: Above and Beyond - Very underrated and it should have been allowed to develop further than it did, while BSG possibly went on slightly too long
    Blakes 7 - look beyond the budget sets (remember when it was made) and you will be enriched, especially when it was actually Blakes 7
    Doctor Who - the 'new generation' are the best at keeping the pace up and you on the edge of your seat. The older ones are good too but look very dated now

Out of Star Trek - TNG would be my favorite, looks a bit dated now, but the good episodes are unbeatable. DS9 would be next, enjoyed most of this and watching it develop. As it was set on a space station it was probably convenient to package most stories into one episode. TOS was good to back to after a long time.

I enjoyed watching Voyager but didn't really feel there were that many memorable episodes compared to the others, and I didn't even get past the first half dozen episodes of Enterprise.

20. Neosmith

Neosmith What's a Dremel?

Terminator the series is hands down the best sci-fi TV show ever made.

Granted, I haven't seen Babylon 5, but I rank it higher than Fringe or Battlestar, though I like both shows. I just think TSCC is better written, almost like a cable show, with minimal exposition and handholding. And Alphas is pretty good too.

Film-wise, you should check out Solaris (both original and remake), 2001:Space Odyssey, Brazil, 12 Monkeys, Blade Runner, Moon, District 9 and Source Code.