1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Scientists FINALLY take the zombie apocalypse seriously

Discussion in 'General' started by [PUNK] crompers, 18 Aug 2009.

1. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

You should point out unless you buy them direct from Bloom & Doom, they probably won't be much good against a zombie horde.

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yeah... you should...
    Chilis burn the entire lane. I am sure squashes are similar to Walnuts, and can be use for bowling... herbs... next spring? that could be tight...

3. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

It depends on the timing. A zombie invasion in December could be problematic with the frost killing the plants...

4. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Hmm..

Zombies vs Triffids?

5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Hm... how well do zombies cope with the cold? Over here it can get quite chilly at winter. At least it might help slow down the infected/infections as I do know that certain virii doesn't care all that much for cold. However, the reanimated kind is a whole different creature - we could grow some leek or spring onions in-doors I suppose, and there is of course the missus' miniature orange tree (which does sprout miniature oranges by the way). I suppose these too, while a bit more squishy, is also similar to walnuts in that they could be used for bowling - they are about the same size.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

You could always squirt Miniature orange juice in their eyes and run... it'd be funny as hell as well.. .kinda like kicking someone in the shin and then running away...

7. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Ah yes, kind of like a variation on the old acid gun concept? I like it. :D

8. Combinho

The answers can be found here. Winter hardy plants.

9. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Hmm... cabbages might do the trick, but we'd have to clear the lawn of snow first, though this could be sorted quickly with fire and then we're back to the chilies. How about brussel sprouts?

10. Combinho

Could be used as pellets, it's a good plan. Also, the snow would slow the zombies down too, but as I said earlier, the bobsled teams would be dangerous here.

11. Mithyx

Mithyx There is no Dremel

For self-defence I'll use my Walther P22 and a box of rounds...
    For entertainment I'll use my Remington Lever-action 30-30 for long range shots

Unfortunately I live in the middle of the city, so it might be a bit difficult getting out if the infection has already spread.

And to hell with your low, heavy cars... I'll stick with this :rock:

[​IMG]

Preferably with the HUMVEE for light driving :D

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

100 people in phalanx formation with a pike is the only way.

13. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

That puny thing?!:D

Anyone watch the new Top Gear?

I would pick up one of these: :naughty:

[​IMG]

14. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

To be honest I'm not all that concerned with norwegian bobsleding zombies - the norwegian bobsled teams haven't been good for years. I'm worried about the ice-skaters though as there's a small creek running parallell to our property - could be decisive. Ah, I've got it - pomegranates, though they're not too fond of the cold either. Hm.

15. Mithyx

Mithyx There is no Dremel

:jawdrop:
    Very nice... unfortunately I can't pick up that thing with a 20 minute drive to the nearest Oshkosh facility.

No thanks. You let one person get bit and that night at camp suddenly you have 10 zombie pikemen... then 50... etc. Melee range is where the zombies have the upper hand. It doesn't matter if you kill 99.99% of them, it only takes one slip up and you're screwed.

It's true you can run out of ammo with guns, but it'll take a long while if you're a good shot and with .22 and .223 rounds you can carry enough to last you months if not years. I'd resort to throwing large rocks before I switched to an axe or sword :D

16. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'd probably "borrow" a plane and "borrow one from the Brits. :D it would be so worth it though.

And yes, that us a bulldozer blade on the front and a bucket arm on the back. :rock:

17. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

while all talk is in jest in this thread, the real course of action in case of an ZA is entirely dependent upon your resources at hand.

Guns? Do you have some? If not, you're better off finding something else. And as far as guns go, the best weapon would be anything that is single shot. If you were to have anything with Auto capabilities the need or desire for full Auto would leave you clipless in seconds while doing very little damage. Meanwhile, a single shot forces you to focus more and place your shots accurately, thus the Sniper Mantra of 1 shot = 1 kill. Also, what you need to keep in mind is that we accept that Zombies react to sound and would be alerted everytime you fired off an Auto spurt. You're basically announcing ' Hey Everybody, here's dinner!!!' to anything within hearing distance. Which is why you have the Zombie moan - they use that as Bats use radar, to track and alert others to 'prey' in the vicinity. Single shots are much harder to locate and define.

Blade weapons are a fallacy and should only be used as a last resort. I personally wouldn't want any zombie within a meter of me ( typical length of bladed weapon) unless there was no other choice. While not exactly easy to maneuver with, a Pike in this scenario would be better suited to both maintaining your personal space and providing the killing blade.

The best weapon in a ZA is evasion. Find , again based upon what you have close at hand, the place that makes it hard for them to both find and get to you. And the Volvo s70 Combi is essentially a tank on wheels, that thing is beyond overbuilt and I would have no worries running over multiple(s) zombies that were in the way.

Norwegian mountains would be a very good choice as long as you had food stocks. Without food you die, and you might as well be a zombie then, huh? And they do react to the cold, just like you and I - not in the sense that they feel pain or the actual temperature, but more so that in sub zero temps they will freeze just like your own flesh would. Winter is perfect to be safe and relatively Zombie free. Spring on the other hand is a problem and all the frozen Zombisicles that you avoided all winter will now be thawing. And of course any Mountain environment is sufficient, not just in Norway ;)

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I haven't read the whole thread, because it's decidedly gargantuan already, but this made me laugh :)

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Thawed zombies aren't too much of a problem... it's not like I'll be there all year.

Hmm....A humvee comprised complete of gas tank? That might last a while.

How about...750+ people with halberds?

20. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

I've always wondered what to do.. and have ideas! But some of these are just plain awesome! I know where my local gun store, however it is in the middle of town, so probably not worth the risk unless I got there very early on! It's handy living right near the yorkshire dales though! Easy place to head to! :)