1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scorched Earth

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 31 Oct 2006.

1. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Nice work as always Macro

2. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark New Member

aaaa....Idunno. izokay. It seems kindof incongruous having the rest of the laptop stock. I think they should have at least taken it apart and painted the rest of it. Even just a matte black would have been better.

3. jswilson64

jswilson64 New Member

Very nice effect. I like the fact that it's "stock" from the driver's seat. Brady Bunch, indeed! ;-)

Isn't Plaster of Paris a bit brittle? And isn't the clay and plaster heavy (the intro said as much)??? I'm not sure of another way to apply the stone texture to a big flat surface, other than fiberglass, but casting resin would have been a perfect choice for the skulls. You could have worked them in plaster, as you did, then re-cast from the plaster "masters" with the flattened sides. They'd be lighter and considerably tougher that way.

4. Alasdair @ Rock

Alasdair @ Rock rock

the weight is quite high but then this is something you'd keep on your desk and show off with, I don't think it would be wise to carry it around too much to be honest :eeek:

5. sl1xx

sl1xx New Member

That mod is just perfect for a lappy good job (y)

6. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I agree with a few of the other posters - it's incongruous leaving the rest of the laptop untouched, and even if you didn't do the texture, painting the rest of the computer would go a long way.

That said, excellent work on the parts that were done. However, I'll have you know I came in here expecting Scorched Earth and was therefore couldn't help being disappointed when it turned out to be nothing more than a graveyard.

7. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Well done for what it is (I'm just not a fan of what it is)

However, when I saw the title I was hoping for a mod based on the original Scorched Earth game (link) or even the great 3D remake (link)

Edit: Bob beat me to it

8. speedfreek

speedfreek New Member

Thats what I thought.

I wouldnt mind that, I dont know if its open to those of us from the us.

9. The Bart Man

The Bart Man New Member

Well done but It is not a mod that I like. How mutch did it ad to the laptop because aal that clay will weigh a lot I think.
    I am also thinking of making somthing special form my laptop case. Hope it will be just as easy to unscrew it!

10. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Hmm, nice work, but it would have been cool to have some of the LEDS hooked to the HDD indicator :)

11. guischall

guischall New Member

I liked so much the skulls, I expected they could be more :sigh:

Maybe a skullpile at one bottom corner, whatherver.
    excelent job anyway. :dremel:

12. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek New Member

Thats what my initial thoughts were :hehe: but it turned out quite nice in the end. Entered the competition anyway.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What can you honestly DO to a laptop? They are made specific to the size, unless you recase it in something bigger, but that defeats the object. I can understand the comment about spraying the whole thing, that I kind of agree with but if you've already got a 6kg lappy then you haven't bought it to lug around with you anyway, it's a DTR and will sit at a desk 95% of its life. There's a point where the weight becomes negligable because ANYTHING over it means it's impracticle to carry. It's a LAN lappy, and people hawl far heavier stuff to LANs.

14. Alasdair @ Rock

Alasdair @ Rock rock

Hi Guys,

I've had a think about this and if someone from outside of the UK won, we'd possibly ask for a small contribution towards the shipping cost becasue it can cost a bit to ship to the US and NZ / AUS etc. I hope you'll think that's fair. If a UK person wins, we'd ship free of charge!

good luck! 900 entries so far and would you believe it, some people think the Xtreme 64 might use an Intel 8008 CPU!!!

Kind regards,
    Alasdair

15. Alasdair @ Rock

Alasdair @ Rock rock

with most laptops the rear screen plastic is fairly easy to remove. the only thing that is awkaward is that on some the screen is attached to the back panel so it's a complete dissassembly to free it up. On others, the screen is attached to the front and the rear comes off fine.

there will be a couple of fiddly antennas behind the screen for wifi and bluetooth (often still there even if not fitted to your model) so watch out for those.

With modding on laptop screens, it's very important not to put anything too thick between the back of the panel and the outer lid. even if there's a small connector pressing into the back of the screen, this focusses any forces on the top of the laptop down to a small point and can crack the screen incredibly easily if you rest anything on it while closed.

Also (statutory warning with my rock hat on) modding laptops will probably invalidate most warranties so wait until your cover has expired. Unfortunately, all rock laptops have a 3 year warranty as standard :-( (!)

Kind regards,
    Alasdair

16. Houck

Houck New Member

Cool Laptop. Lots of people looking at you on the train :D

17. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I'll hold my hand up and admit I submitted an entry with the Intel 8008 CPU chosen.

But in my defence, I was reading the Sony VAIO article at the same time, with its Intel Core Solo and while flipping between tabs chose the wrong radio button. I realised as soon as I hit submit. Honest.

18. koola

koola Banned

Great modding skills macroman, but it just sucks on a laptop... sorry!

19. speedfreek

speedfreek New Member

I would have left an option for Intel 8086. :D

20. Alasdair @ Rock

Alasdair @ Rock rock

Maybe I'll take your word for it...

are you sure that's not a floppy drive 1.44MB? :)

Tags: Add Tags