1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding [Scratch Build] Aluminium + Carbon Fibre Case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mr Evil, 18 Apr 2015.

1. Mr Evil

Mr Evil What's a Dremel?

For my first post here, I present my first attempt at building a case (and hopefully my last, as I built it to last). It's not as ambitously elaborate as some of the cases I've seen around here, but I hope you like it anyway.

It's based around a frame of aluminium extrusions, covered in carbon fibre panels. I tried to keep it free from extraneous decoration, to accentuate the decorative nature of the carbon fibre itself. The interior is also quite minimalist due to the lack of drive bays (don't need them for SSDs, and I don't need an optical drive).

I designed it to be quiet, with three low-speed 140mm case fans, a passive PSU and fanless CPU heatsink. The GPU heatsink is still stock because I' not sure of the best way to deal with it yet (and because I'll probably replace it soon when AMD release their 3xx cards). At idle it is effectively inaudible. The fans don't even need to spin up to keep the CPU cool under load. With the GPU under load it makes more noise, but it's still pretty quiet.

There's a more detailed description on my website.

Here's what it looked like before fitting the panels:
    [​IMG]

And now with the panels:
    [​IMG]

Inside:
    [​IMG]

Cables exit neatly from the rear:
    [​IMG]

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:thumb: Nice one.