1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding screw anchor

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bluc, 21 Oct 2012.

1. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Hey all wondering if anyone knows of a self tapping screw anchor that will suit a 5mm hole, have a .8mm or thinner flange and suit a 3mm self tapper screw. I have one mounting hole in my case that I drilled to big. Must have had a brain freeze :blush: and looking at a way to reduce the hole size to suit a 3mm self tapping screw.The anchor will be hidden behind a panel does not matter what it looks like or material its made from. Help much appreciated.

2. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Don't know if this is any good to you? I've made an insert before to reduce a hole, screw a bolt into the hole and drill the required new size in it or in your case drill a hole leaving enough metal for the self tapper to bite into, as the hole is now over the size you want you can of course make it even bigger to screw a suitable bolt into.

If the material you are fitting the bolt into is very thin like a PC case panel you can screw the bolt into the panel and screw a nut on the end of the bolt as a lock nut to tighten the bolt to the panel so it won't pull out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Oct 2012
  3. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Great idea and never thought of that will see what I can get at local fasteners shop. Only problem with that that I can see is getting one with a head that is low profile enough. Thanks heaps :thumb:

4. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Once you've got it sorted you can file the bolt head down to size.