1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screws and Rads...

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Xonar, 25 Aug 2010.

1. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Hi, I am planning on buying a couple of 20mm fan shrouds to coincide with my RX480mm Rad.

Basically my plan was to buy these screws which are long enough to go through both my 20mm shroud and 25mm fan, now my issue is, will these screws fit my rad OK?

I know the RX480 takes UNC 6-32 screws but I don't know how that would relate to the scews I've pointed out, all it states is that it's M3.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I found that although M3 screws will fit the rad, repeated use i.e. more than 2 or 3 times will damage the thread and will then fail to hold the fans/shroud, particularly if they're overtightened even slightly. Metric screws have a finer thread than the 6-32 but it could be just me being clumsy.

EDIT: These are the 6-32 screws at AT http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=6-32 screw phobya&

UK model shops sometimes stock 2" (50.8mm) screws.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2010
  3. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I did a bit more research the next day and found out there were 2 version of the RX480, one with 6-32 screws and the other with M4, turns out mine is the M4 so I bought 10x 50mm long M4 screws for £2.77 posted which seemed like a pretty good deal.

They just arrived today and i can confirm they fit no problems, just awaiting the delivery of my shrouds then I'll post my results with/without shrouds and also push v pull.