1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Scythe Ninja Copper

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Jun 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I'm liking this new Heatsink review thing. I've always been unsure about Heatsinks, and it's hard to find a comprehensive benchmark which can assure me which I should go for.

It's just a shame you haven't tested the Scythe Ninja Mini, since that's the one I'm looking at for building my HTPC.

3. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Active Member

Slight typo.
    What are the "wallet meltingly expensive" ways of testing heatsinks ?
    The scythe looks nice but performs poorly, as you said. So the silent Square pro is better ?

4. Blood

Blood New Member

Shame - I really liked Scythe coolers back in the day of skt 478. Working for maplin and someone messed up - I got four Scythe Heatlanes for 3 quid each!

Disappointing

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'm running a Scythe Ninja Mini on a Q6600 in my HTPC - idles at 28*C (with C1E, Speedstep etc disabled) and loads at 54*C. This is on a low VID batch Q6600, though, so temps are pretty good. Ambient temp around 18 or 19*C. It's a surprisingly capable heatsink, but the fan is a little loud. In fact, aside from the fan on the GPU, the fan on the Ninja Mini is the only one in the case. (Well, and the PSU fan, but that sucks air in from a grille in the side of the case and vents it out the back of the PSU, so is effectively a seperate airflow system from the rest...)

Am looking to get a Scythe Zipang to test out, as I think it'll just fit in the case...

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I'm looking at just using the heatsink, since the Antec NSK2480 which I'll be putting it in has good airflow with 2x120mm fans included which sit on the case exhaust literally right next to the CPU heatsink. Hopefully I'll be able to OC a Q6600 to 3.0GHz, if not I may have to attach the fan.

7. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Stay tuned on this front! I'll be looking at the Zipang shortly, and hopefully it won't be such a disappointment as the Ninja Copper.

8. Mo_

Mo_ Did this world come by chance?

9. p3n

p3n New Member

There seems to be a distinct lack of fin'age per heatpipe (new heatsink stat is born?) ... all well and good having 2010 heatpipes but i'd imagine the surface area on that must be pretty low compared to the 'density' of a zalman flower of old..

10. wharrad

wharrad New Member

Ach, what a shame. The original Ninja was a really good performer. It seems somewhere along the line the mounting plate got changed and then the performance drops off wildly.

Clearly I can't be sure, but I wonder if the additional weight of the copper is pulling it away from the motherboard when it's on it's side... Thus reducing the contact pressure.

Oh well, I suppose it's time to have yet another 'eXtreme' branded product in the case :)

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Great! :D

Do Scythe want it back when you've tested it, or can you send it to me? :D:D

12. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the original was a fantastic performer when used in a push-pull combination. It was also really quiet. Shame this new one isn't great, but I kind of expected it actually. Replacing all the aluminium fins with copper will give a disproportionate performance advantage over the cost overlay. Scythe is better off designing a more efficient heatpipe system and a better mount.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Nice review!

That thing dominates the board, though :D

I noticed in the AM2 socket demo you fitted it to an M3A32-MVP. Is there any chance anyone could give me an idea of the gap between two cards in the two lowest PCI-E sockets? I cannot, for love nor money, find a review that has four PCI-E cards fitted.

14. dmak

dmak New Member

when I looked into this cooler before as well as the aluminum one with the push pin mounts it was reviewed similarily. They were disapointed, one site made the point of using the same fan on all their cpu tower heat sinks though and found that a better fan produced fantastic results bringing it to just under the mighty ultra 120.

oh and I hate their mounting system with the push pins, it may appear easy but is far from it and will require the MB to be removed to get it out.

Tags: Add Tags