1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scythe renames Infinify CPU Cooler, Mugen.

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Guest-16, 8 Aug 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The word "Mugen" means "Infinity" in Japanese language.

Due to the integration as well as the corporate image of "Scythe" as the Japanese manufacturer of unique PC parts, we have determined that it is better to focus on the product name to represent the country as well as the Japanese spirit into the product. Furthermore, the fan comes with the new "Mugen CPU Cooler" is now originally developed by Scythe company to have more airflow without sacrificing in the noise level, and this change resulted in the increased performance overall. Furthermore, the total weight of the CPU cooler with fan is less 30g by integrating this newly developed fan.

Model Name: Mugen CPU Cooler

Model Number: SCINF-1000

Manufacturer: Scythe Co., Ltd. Japan

Compatibility: Intel® Socket 478/T (LGA775), AMD Socket 754/939/940/AM2

Combined Dimensions: 125 x 116 x 160mm

Fan Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25mm

Fan Noise Level: 25.00dBA

Air Flow: 68.54 CFM

Fan Speed: 1200rpm (±10%)

Weight: 930g

MSRP: 58.00 (USD)

44.95 (EURO) excl. VAT

For further information & images of the new corporate logo, please visit our website at:

Mugen CPU Cooler Product Page (English)

Mugen CPU Cooler Press Release (HTML)

2. lamboman

lamboman New Member

Wow, a way to just confuse people. Everybody knows what the Infinity is, so saying Mugen, everyone will go, huh?

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

What a crap name. I'm going to continue to refer to the Scythe Infinity as the Scythe Infinity, regardless of what their stupid marketing department stupidly call the Scythe Infinity it will remain named the Scythe Infinity in my head and vocabulary.

Scythe Infinity.

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

It should be looked at as Mugen as in Honda. Better performance outlook, I guess.

[​IMG]
    Stick one of these badges onto your Infinity for the upgrade.

5. ikra

ikra New Member

heh, i dont care what they call it as long as we know its japanese im a happy lad :D

6. wewe

wewe New Member

wow another name that difficult to pronounce :)

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

well as long as it cools my CPU it's fine

8. Harrybo

Harrybo GAMER

DAMN lol they have just brought out a new one, MEh getting water cooling soon anyway woot

9. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

Poor decision on their part. I'm sure the Japanese find nothing wrong with it though.

I keep pronouncing it in my head "moogin' " like its some sort of redneck cow milking or something.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's because it IS JAPANESE. :rolleyes: and it is "moogen"

11. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Don't honda or nissan have a tuning partner called mugen?

EDIT: Amon already said it

Last edited: 23 Aug 2007
  12. mattthegamer463

Thats my point. The Japanese who came up with this didn't consider the rest of the world in their decision to rename it to something Japanese.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just like the English don't consider the rest of the world when they name everything else. What's your point? Just because in your language it might sound silly because of a particular association with a localism, doesn't mean it's a bad name?

I suppose the Mitsubishi Shogun should be the Mitsubishi General as well?

14. mattthegamer463

But all our English words sound good. :p

Don't get me wrong, I think we should take into account as well that things we name should be pleasing-sounding for our target market, and if our target market is english-prominent, then the product should perhaps be tailored more towards them. You offer an example in your own reply; Mitsubishi Shogun totally rolls off the tongue, better so, in my opinion, than Mitsubishi General. In that case, I would be against a name change of any kind. Its just that some words in different languages sound quite silly and out-of-place in other languages, and I simply feel that should be taken into account somewhat when a company decides to name a product.

Part of this stems from how they had a good name already, Infinity, and changed it to the Japanese word, Mugen. If they had named their brand new company or product line Mugen from the start, there would be no precedent and no comparison made, and the name would definitely appear more attractive. Do you not agree Bindi?

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

When Nintendo announced the name of the Wii, everybody laughed at their ridiculous choice. Nintendo didn't care, they just let the performance speak for itself. I guess it turned out OK for them. So Scythe wants to change the name to Mugen. OK, so what? How does it perform?

-monkey

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope, couldn't give a **** but if a company wants to highlight its Japanese (or where ever) roots then I'm all for it - it's good to know where stuff is coming from rather than just assume it's all Taiwan/China rebrands.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Aug 2007
  17. ikra

ikra New Member

I got one, and i dont care what they call it.. the imprint on top of the heatsink is going to be always the same... scythe... and with that you know you can get good performance out of it

well in fact i do get good performance out of it, currently my dual core is sitting at 25C cant ask for any more than that (not OC'd)