1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seagate confirms 3TB drives

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 May 2010.

1. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

Wouldn't touch seagate again, but hope my Drobo FS will accept a Samsung\WD version of these drives.

2. Unknownsock

Unknownsock New Member

Never heard of segate drives :eek:

3. Bayaz

Bayaz New Member

Why not just buy 2 * 2GB drives instead. Probably work out cheaper and less troublesome until hardware/software catches up

4. NeoThermic

NeoThermic New Member

Not sure I agree with this post. 48-bit LBA, part of the ATA-6 spec released in 2002 gives support for 128 PiB worth of disk addressing. Quite why you'd need a BIOS, SATA, RAID or mobo is beyond me. Craig, Gareth, can you enlighten us as to why 48-bit LBA isn't enough for 3TB drives?

5. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

So according to the Thinq article linked you would require a mainboard with UEFI instead of Bios... problem is that the only manufacturer to offer it at some point in consumer mainboards (msi) seems to have abandoned it already again with not a single s1366 / s1566 / am3 board having it according to their own website.
    http://www.msi.com/html/popup/MB/uefi/applied_model.html

And server mainboards are even worse than consumer products if it comes to being hooked on ancient connectors and standards...
    So that supposed UEFI requirement better be wrong.

Last edited: 20 May 2010
Tags: Add Tags