1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seagate hints at 8TB, 10TB hard drive launch plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 May 2014.

1. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I've enjoyed reading this article and thread :D

Anyway, I want MOAR storage!

Teelzebub likes this.
  2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Hello!

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Yeah, me too

Most consumer level video cameras, and even most cell phones these days, offer 1080 and a lot of people shoot in it, even for youtube. I shoot 960p/60fps mostly with my GoPro, which also eats up a lot of storage space. I'm going to be replacing my 1 TB fileserver in the next few months because it's full and will definitely be looking for what the biggest drives I can get at a reasonable price are.

4. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I think the point jrs77 is making has little to do with tech progress and a lot to do with a fairly insular view on what the product is for and why it would have a customer base. Storing lots of video is not the same as editing lots of video. Large storage mediums are not solely for servers, though they may be the initial market. Hence you can buy 3tb drives right now for about £80.

<addendum>it's ok in my book to make such statements, but you have to expect people will respond in kind!

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yo.

1080p at 60fps, even compressed with h.264, eats a HUGE chunk of hard drive space. My 15-20 minute videos are coming out at around 8GB these days, and I produce at least 3 of those every week.

I even have to use compressed source video these days; uncompressed 1080p60 takes around 100GB for about 15 minutes.

6. Cthippo

You should post some of your work in the "Video of the day" thread :thumb:

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is that like Lady GaGa's meat dress ? :D

8. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Yup. Media for me. All my songs and my wife's songs take maybe 20GB total. At most. However, lots and lots of pictures and family videos. More the former than the later. I am an amateur photographer and I probably eat 3-4GB of storage for images every month in a slow month and 6-10GB in a heavy month. Times a large number of months...I probably have a minimum of 300GB taken up between my pictures, my wife's pictures and family pictures and videos.

Movies also eat a lot. I probably have about 1.5TiB...which is relatively small compared to some collections I know of. My coworker needs to expand his storage because he is running low on the 10TB of storage he has.

Between images, the occasional BR I buy and rip and so on, I probably grow my storage on average 20GB a month. So in a year I probably need 240GB of extra storage. Right now on my desktop (which also serves as a backup for my server) I am butting up on my storage limits. Server is still only 50% utilized and I'll have space on it to grow for years to come (okay, at least 2 years, probably more like 3-5).

So I am thinking a couple of 3TB drives in RAID0 for my desktop. That should tide me for at least 5-6 years...so long as a drive doesn't die, or 4k doesn't make a bigger splash at a lower price than I think it will (because otherwise ripping 4k to 2k/4k instead of my usual practice of ripping my 1080p BR to generally 720p and occasionally 1080p). If it does, my storage requirements in a given year are probably going to triple. Which means 6TB (~5.5TiB formatted) might only last me 3 years, possibly 4.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No. No, no, no. Nooooo. No.

Y'know why they call it RAID0? 'Cos you've 0% chance of keeping your data intact. If you make a two-drive RAID0 array, you've doubled your chances of losing everything on both drives to a drive failure. Make a three-drive array? Your chances just tripled. Seriously, don't do it.

A better idea: create a non-striped pool of disks. I know Windows can do LVM-style stuff these days. That way, if you lose a single disk you only lose the data on that disk; everything stored on the other disks is A-OK. You should still have backups, like, but it's better'n playing Russian roulette with a semi-automatic like a RAID0 setup would be.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I agree, RAID 0 is really only good for performance reasons and if the data can be reproduced. Besides, the performance gains would be relatively useless. As a very simple solution, if you have a storage system dedicated to media and you have multiple folders at the root of the drive, you can always distribute those folders between the drives and just use shortcuts to the folders on the "main" drive.

If your media is only viewed through your computer, you might want to look into better compression methods. Personally, I'd rather use more of CPU, GPU, and RAM for lower disk usage. But, I don't care about having the best quality possible, so I know my opinion is crazy to some.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I do rather a lot of videos... Probably best that I just have a link in my sig to the channel that I produce content for, otherwise I'm gonna look like a dirty spammer :)

12. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I thought so: I could see other people not quite seeing what you were trying to get at, so I thought I'd just stick my big fat nose in... :D

By the way, completely agree with you & Gareth re: RAID 0 - bad, bad idea for storing data. With the advent of SSD's it's not even a good idea for a 'clean' primary drive anymore now. Just old tech past its sell-by date really...

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

As long as you have a backup it doesn't matter and you should always have a backup of all your personal data regardless of running raid 0 /1/ 5/ 60 or not.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

15. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

8TB on a single drive is pretty mental. Mind you, I remember saying the same about 1GB. :blush:

16. Cthippo

I wouldn't mind seeing them go back to the 5 1/4" form factor if it could get us to 20 or 50 TB. There is nothing magical about the 3 1/2" size.

17. ViPPeR_666

ViPPeR_666 What's a Dremel?

Are you seriously that naive? lol

18. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Cthippo, I'd be fine with a 5.25 bay being used up if that meant I could have ALL the storage i'd ever need on it!

19. Cthippo

Unfortunately, the definition of "all the storage I'd ever need" is a moving target. I remember when I though a gigabyte of storage was more than I would ever need. Guess what? I shot 6 GB worth of video in one day on Thursday using only a single camera. Do that once a week for three years and you've filled up a 1 TB fileserver. Sure it seems like storage demands should level off eventually like the demand for CPU speeds and memory sizes has, but that date seems nowhere near.

20. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Unsurprising really though. Our media keeps increasing in size as the physical devices themselves become more advanced. With 4K hitting mainstream audiences (both on the content side and ease of amateur production) and potentially 8K after that, our storage needs are becoming phenomenally massive. Add to that downloading ever increasingly detailed games, then things like video with higher framerates etc. I can't see our need plateauing any time soon either.