1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seagate launches 5TB mobile hard drive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Nov 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

It is a shingled drive. I would avoid these for at least another 2 years until the initial bugs with the multiple cache levels are ironed out (these drives have the usual 128MB cache on interface, then some non-SMR storage on the SMR platters as cache, then the actual data on the SMR tracks; drive moves data from non-SMR regions to SMR section when the drive is "idle"). Obviously moving data between cache and actual tracks could lead to data loss if there are some bugs in firmware - thus waiting for at least 2 more years until initial bugs in first few generations are fixed.

Also these drives can have wildly varying results depending on the filesystem, for example here is the Linux side of the things :
    http://blog.schmorp.de/2015-10-08-smr-archive-drives-fast-now.html

PS: The Shingled drive part is kinda hidden in specs :
    http://www.seagate.com/www-content/...files/barracuda-2-5-final-ds1907-1-1609gb.pdf
    It is hiding under the term "Multi-Tier Caching Technology™" (probably).

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Thanks for the links. :)

I've sworn off SMR drives (I've got 6 of the things, and returned a further 2, so I speak from experience) because of all the grief they've given me. Problem is, I've also sworn off Western Digital high-capacity drives after ordering 8x6TB drives at work, and two of them having 6TB stickers on, but actually being 5TB! So when it comes to high-capacity disks, I'm a bit restricted. :(

SMR drives could have been great. Instead, they were a monumental PITA.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Good eye. Shingled drives scare me; when I was adding another drive to my MicroServer I paid more for a 6TB normal drive than I could have paid for an 8TB shingled drive. D'you know Seagate has coded a specific filesystem for SMR drives, building on EXT4, specifically to deal with the scary magic voodoo that happens behind the scenes?

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

It was not so hidden in the press release, when they announced these 5TB, 15mm, 2.5" drives :
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10757...5-mobile-hard-drives-with-up-to-5-tb-capacity