1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Searchable Torrents Soon?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 23 May 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

2. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hmmmm...anyone remember Hotline? This is getting remeniscent of that. Torrents are already searchable, use isohunt or something else and it brings you up torrents with a list of what's inside...I'm not sure what else one would be wanting.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

lol
    Of course most of the third-party BT programs (Azureus, etc) will almost certainly incorporate the searchable setup without ads. Now pardon my ignorance, but how would this be any different than KaZaA (etc)? You've got the searching, you've got the P2P, is it only the protocol behind the downloading/searching that's different?

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I ain't got no idea what's the matter with those people...
    It's like Hed said: It will become a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, whatever-th Kazaa. Shame on those idiots.
    There are no problems searching for torrents at the moment. And if BT gets ad-flooded too... What "I-don't-want-to-harm-the-industry-but-I-don't-want-to-pay-either"-Programs are left? The donkey? Ehrm... why not calling police to come to your home and watch you downloading files? Imo not safe enough. FTP? Mwhaha...uh...nope.
    All I gotta say: Never change a running system. :eyebrow:

5. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

bt is only used as an archive for piracy. Usenet is still used as a rapid binary distrabution system, its quite a problem because most only have retention of a fortnight, and by the time you've noticed ur IP has been violated, spoken to your layers contacted the ISP, they've been purged anyway!

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

errr, no.
    its becoming more and more common for distributing large files
    3dgamers were one of the first sites to distribute game demos etc over bit-torrent
    and quite a few sites do now, iirc nasa released all their weather modelling tools over bit-torrent too
    tbh since i got a usenet account i havent used torrents for anything dodgy

edit: not to mention its useless as an 'archive' really, seeds dont stick around long enough (couple of weeks at most usually) for it to be a good archive

7. Phaeton

Phaeton What's a Dremel?

Bit-Torrent is extremely useful for OSS projects who want to allow their software to be downloaded by large numbers of people, but can't afford the bandwith. It is far from being just another method of piracy.

8. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

Does not compute. Scene releases of TV shows and movies are almost always released on Usenet way before they hit other P2P networks.

Back on topic, I don't get this idea. Decentralized tracking allows me to only send the torrent file to people I want to have it. Searching allows people who look for it to find it. Combined, I can create a decentralized torrent and anyone can search for it and connect. So what's the difference between that and uploading to a tracker?

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

not true, most groups dont upload to usenet anymore, you usually have to wait for someone to get it (usually off a pre-release torrent or something) and upload it to usenet
    usually appears an hour or 2 later for popular stuff

Tags: Add Tags